Ever considered getting a pair of wool running socks to push your athletic game to the next level?
Learn more below on why wool makes for an exceptional running sock, what other fibers enhance runner performance as well as some of the best features of wool running socks.
Why Wool Is A Superior Material For Running Socks
Wool has taken on a new role in the athletic world as the old, yet new performance-enhancing material of the century. As a fiber, wool comes in all sorts of thicknesses. The best form of wool for running socks is merino wool, which is 1/8th that the width of human hair, strand for strand. Wool is highly durable and less susceptible to mildew than other fabrics are.
Wool is antimicrobial and impeccably soft. It also keeps sheep dry and at a stable temperature in both hot or cold climates. When used in a pair of running socks, it does the same thing, wicking moisture away effortlessly, drying fast, and insulating the feet. It is naturally breathable and allows air to move through it quickly. Aside from these excellent characteristics, wool running socks are usually very light compared to cotton and other fibers.
Other Running Sock Fibers For Enhanced Performance
When wool is paired with any of the following fibers, it will further speed up your running game!
- Olefin – Olefin is the fastest drying fiber of all the synthetic fibers used to create socks. This makes socks dry 100% of the time when blended with wool (especially merino wool). Olefin will also increase the durability of the socks, allowing them to be exposed to the elements for longer without losing their shape.
- Nylon – Nylon is used in sock making to create arch support and foot padding. It is a tough material and is also often used to reinforce sock designs at the heel and toe.
- Spandex – Spandex is what gives all clothing items their stretch. Wool, with a small percentage of spandex in it, will always fit your feet perfectly and never slide around. Other names for spandex include elastane or lycra.
Properties of a Good Wool Running Socks
The below best features found in wool socks are bound to take your running game to the next level.
- Moisture Elimination – Wool naturally eliminates moisture. However, there are strategies that manufacturers have devised to make it even more effective. More than one layer of wool, for example, is ideal for creating permanently dry feet while on the go.
- Antimicrobial – Socks that are antimicrobial will ensure that your feet remain free from infections. Either these socks are infused with an antimicrobial substance, or they have a mechanism that bursts open bacterial cells on a micro level.
- Seamless – Seamless socks means that the socks have no seams. The seam is one of the leading causes of excessive friction and blisters. Seamless socks are known to be far more comfortable than socks that include a seam.
- Compression – Compression socks are socks which gently squeeze your feet, allowing for better circulation. This also reduces pressure on the feet, and the enhanced blood flow is believed to enhance speed and running performance too.
- Anti-Odor – Socks that are anti-odor will help to keep your feet smelling fresh by the time you have to remove them after a run!
Reviews: Best Wool Running Socks
Choose from some of the best wool hiking socks below and click any of them to add to your shopping cart!
- These no-show wool running socks sit perfectly just beneath the ankles, remaining hidden from sight while simultaneously upping your game.
- Made from pure merino wool, the socks will keep your feet insulated at the perfect temperature all year round.
- The fineness of the wool used in combination with non-itch technology allows for these socks never to itch or feel scratchy.
- Highly breathable, these wool running socks contain a mesh vent at the top of the sock design, giving your feet optimal airflow.
- Chief at moisture-wicking, these socks are an optimal choice for those who like to run with dry feet!
- ASICS are one of the world’s leading companies in sports gear and now they’re proud to present to you their no show merino wool socks!
- Complete with a seamless toe, these soft socks will never cause heat build-up, friction, or blistering.
- A single tab at the back of the ankle helps to keep them in place and protects your heels from blisters when wearing into new running shoes.
- Nylon in the blend will extend the lifespan of the socks, allowing them to go through more washes without losing their shape.
- Around the arches of the feet, the socks will give mild compression, improving blood flow and stamina, while alleviating foot pressure.
- These crew length running socks are just what you need for year round running success and comfort.
- The superior merino wool blend allows for both heat and moisture to escape from out the socks while allowing it to be incredibly soft.
- Lightweight and breathable, these wool running socks will bring out the best of your abilities, whether running, cycling, or hiking.
- The heel and toe are reinforced, preventing premature damages or breakage in the wash that often happens to cheaper socks.
- The top of the sock is designed to channel excessive heat as well as provide mild compression for improving performance.
- If you need a very comfortable pair of wool running socks, you have found a worthy match!
- These wool socks are made of almost 60% merino wool and 36% nylon to balance durability with comfort.
- Underneath the socks, there is a very thin layer of built-in padding for superior comfort and arch support.
- Seamless, these socks will not cause friction or bruise your feet, resulting in longer runs and improved comfort.
- The antimicrobial properties of this sock will also prevent odors from accruing in your shoes and will allow your feet to remain fresh and healthy.
- This lightweight sock will not impede you in any way as you run mile after mile in them!
- Made from a thin layer of merino wool, moisture will not last long on your feet with its quick-drying properties.
- The sock uses true seamless technology to ensure there are no parts that can cause unnecessary friction or abrasion.
- The double tab will help to protect your heel and lower calf from your footwear, especially if you are still wearing in your shoes or have a long way to run.
- The heel and toe of both socks in this pair have been reinforced to prevent wear and tear, increasing the lifespan of the socks considerably.
- Made from Spandex and Merino Wool that is stretchable and keeps you warm.
- Durable and long-lasting quality that will keep you well insulated.
- Lightweight, flexible, and still breathable enough.
- Comes in many fn and broight color options..
- Made from high-quality Merino wool, spandex, and polyamides.
- Blister resistant and moisture wicking materials.
- Short no show design for low cut sneakers.
- Available in a few color options.
- Technical cushioning and venting for better comfort and support.
- Reinforced toe and heel for durability.
- It is made from spandex and Merino wool for warmth and comfort.
- Versatile enough for any season.
- Quality thick and fluffy comfort socks.
Comparison Table: Top Wool Running Socks
|1||Pure Athlete Unisex Wool Running Socks - No Show Wool Running Socks||Pure Athlete||96.9|
|2||ASICS Unisex Fujitrail Wool Socks - Single Tab Wool Running Socks||ASICS||98|
|3||Swiftwick Unisex Soft Wool Socks - Merino Wool Crew Length Running Socks||Swiftwick||97|
|4||CloudLine Unisex Wool Athletic Socks - Quarter Length Wool Running Socks||CloudLine||96|
|5||Darn Tough Men's Wool Running Socks - Moisture Eliminating Merino Wool Athletes Socks||Darn Tough||96|
|6||Danish Endurance Unisex Wool - Durable Wool Running Socks||Danish Endurance||97|
|7||No Show Unisex Athletic - Wool Running Socks||No Show||98|
|8||Pembrook Unisex Sport - Wool Running Socks||Pembrook||98|
Table of Contents
- Why Wool Is A Superior Material For Running Socks
- Other Running Sock Fibers For Enhanced Performance
- Properties of a Good Wool Running Socks
- Reviews: Best Wool Running Socks
- Pure Athlete® Unisex Wool Running Socks No Show Wool Running Socks
- ASICS® Unisex Fujitrail Wool Socks Single Tab Wool Running Socks
- Swiftwick® Unisex Soft Wool Socks Merino Wool Crew Length Running Socks
- CloudLine® Unisex Wool Athletic Socks Quarter Length Wool Running Socks
- Darn Tough® Men's Wool Running Socks Moisture Eliminating Merino Wool Athletes Socks
- Danish Endurance® Unisex Wool Durable Wool Running Socks
- No Show® Unisex Athletic Wool Running Socks
- Pembrook® Unisex Sport Wool Running Socks
- Comparison Table: Top Wool Running Socks