Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Wool has been used to make garments for centuries and has many properties that hikers find incredibly beneficial.
Read more below about why wool works, what different kinds of wool hiking socks one can get, and the fantastic features of wool hiking socks.
Table of Contents
- Why Wool Hiking Socks Are The Best
- Related Articles on Hiking Socks
- Different Types of Wool Fibers & How They Differ
- Features of a Good Wool Hiking Sock
- Reviews: The Best Wool Hiking Socks
- Sox Shop® Unisex Merino Hiking Socks Reinforced Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- Kirkland Signature® Unisex Hiking Socks Merino Wool Outdoor Trail Hiking Socks
- NEVSNEV® Women's Athletic Thermal Thickening Cushion Lightweight Merino Wool Crew Hiking Socks
- Kakuetta Trail® Unisex Wool Hiking Socks 100% Pure Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- People Socks® Unisex Wool Hiking Socks Affordable Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- Time May Tell® Men's Hiking Merino Wool Socks
- DANISH ENDURANCE® Unisex Trekking Woolen Socks
- FUN TOES® Unisex Cushioning Merino Wool Ankle Socks
- Dickies® Men's Dri-tech Warming Crew Socks
- Alvada® Unisex Thermal Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- Comparison Table: Top Wool Hiking Socks
Why Wool Hiking Socks Are The Best
Since the dawn of keeping livestock, wool properties have been known for centuries (possibly even thousands of years). One may think wool is counterintuitive for socks, especially when running in hot weather. The truth is that wool will help keep your feet cool, dry, and much more!
Animals with fleece coats live in mountainous regions or areas with harsh temperatures. Their wool helps them adjust by eliminating excessive moisture and insulating them at a stable temperature, regardless of the weather. Wool socks are the same in that they are highly absorbent, will dry quickly, and will keep your feet dry.
Wool also has some antimicrobial properties. Wool is their first immune defense line for sheep or other fleeced animals. Regarding socks, this benefit of wool will reduce the risk of foot infections and remove any odors resulting from them.
Related Articles on Hiking Socks
- The Best Waterproof Hiking Socks
- Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- Best Gore-Tex Socks
- Wool Hiking Socks
- 14 Summer Hiking Socks for Hot Weather
Different Types of Wool Fibers & How They Differ
Not all wool is the same! Every fleeced animal has minor variations in its wool’s thickness and quality. The list below describes the best wool fibers for wool hiking socks.
- Merino Wool – You will not find better wool for hiking than merino wool. The merino wool fibers are 1/8th the thickness of human hair, making them immaculately fine. The wool’s fineness makes merino wool hiking socks the most effective at eliminating moisture and keeping your feet comfortable.
- Normal Wool – Ordinary wool is usually a combination of different types of sheep wool. It’s difficult to assess the quality of ordinary wool socks as different wool types can be abrasive.
- Alpaca Wool – Alpaca wool is traditionally also incredibly soft and is used to make wool hiking socks. It is not as fine as merino wool but still shares the same properties and achieves wonderful results.
- Acrylic – Acrylic is the artificial fiber version of wool commonly used to extend wool blends. Acrylic can retain dye better than most wools and last longer. Nothing beats 100% pure merino wool, but if you look at wool socks that do not state the quality of wool, it is best to have a bit of acrylic in the mix. This will ensure that the end product is still soft and durable.
Features of a Good Wool Hiking Sock
The best wool hiking sock features will allow you to keep sojourning for longer without blisters or foot fatigue!
- Padding – It is common these days for hiking and other athletic socks to have some degree of underfoot padding. This makes them very comfortable and able to better protect your feet’ soles from impact and harsh terrains.
- Arch Support – If you are prone to foot fatigue or discomfort, get a pair of socks with mild arch support. This will help the arches of your feet flex nicely and keep you on the go for longer. You may not want to take the socks off, though…
- Mild Compression – Mild compression improves blood flow in the feet for those that need it. Many claims that compression socks also enhance performance and get the heart pumping faster, which may benefit you if you do a lot of hiking.
- Seamless – Seamless wool socks will never give you blisters or cause uncomfortable friction.
- No Elastic – Do not buy a pair of wool socks with an elastic band to hold them up. This is indicative of the poor quality and often restricts circulation. Good quality wool hiking socks can hold themselves up due to the craftsmanship or a spandex band that will not impinge on your blood supply.
Reviews: The Best Wool Hiking Socks
Below is a reviewed list of some of the best wool hiking socks at the best prices!
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- These hardy hiking socks were made in Canada and can keep your feet comfortable all year round.
- The wool was sewn with a non-binding double cuff, holding the socks up and keeping your feet well insulated in Winter.
- Only the finest Australian Merino Wool was used to craft these socks, with 20% Nylon and spandex for durability and the best fit.
- The superior moisture-wicking qualities of Merino Wool will keep your feet dry, no matter what the weather is on your hike.
- Reinforced toes and heels give your feet additional protection and extend the socks’ lifespan.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
Kirkland Signature® Unisex Hiking Socks Merino Wool Outdoor Trail Hiking Socks
- These Merino wool hiking socks are some of the best you can find, allowing ultimate comfort and minimum moisture.
- 70% Merino Wool with nearly 30% nylon makes for very soft, snug socks that last a long time.
- Reinforced heels and toes of the sock ensure that no ripping will occur in those parts that usually go first.
- Underfoot padding will make using these hiking socks delightful, easing pressure on your feet with every stride.
- Held up by a non-binding wool stitch to allow your blood to keep circulating, which is good for your health.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
NEVSNEV® Women's Athletic Thermal Thickening Cushion Lightweight Merino Wool Crew Hiking Socks
- NEVSNEV is dedicated solely to making apparel out of high-performance Merino Wool.
- These men’s wool hiking socks are ideal for hiking, athletics, running, or skiing in both extreme hot and cold climates.
- A flat-knit toe seam minimizes the risk of friction or causing blistering on your toes.
- These wool hiking socks are crafted and provide additional ventilation and padding for your feet.
- Superior merino wool was used to craft these socks into effective high-performance smart socks.
- 30% Nylon also reinforces the sock and preserves its quality for longer.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
Kakuetta Trail® Unisex Wool Hiking Socks 100% Pure Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- If you face icy, frigid temperatures to hike in, you will want a pair of these 100% Merino Wool socks.
- These wool hiking socks have comfort and thickness, which is rare to find among others.
- Designed to handle freezing weather, such as snow, these thick socks are the perfect Wintertime gift!
- It is also suited to scorching temperatures due to Merino Wool’s top-notch moisture-wicking ability.
- Highly durable, the sock will not tear, break, pill, or overstretch, holding its shape for a much longer period.
People Socks® Unisex Wool Hiking Socks Affordable Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- These medium-thickness wool hiking socks are ideal for use year-round and are also highly affordable!
- The toe and heel of the sock have been reinforced with nylon ribbing to keep them entirely in place and prevent wear and tear.
- Constructed 71% merino wool with great air circulation, your feet will remain dry enough to hike for hours.
- If you ever get a hole in your sock, you can call the manufacturers, who will gladly replace the sock for you.
- The pack includes four pairs of these hiking socks.
Time May Tell® Men's Hiking Merino Wool Socks
- These socks are made with a blend of 80% merino wool, 14% Nylon, 5% Poly, and 1% Spandex.
- The socks are specially designed for hiking and other such outdoor activities.
- It is made with meticulous processing to ensure no spare threads, good elasticity, strong warmth retention, and moisture absorption.
- It comes in various colors and fits most feet as they are incredibly stretchy.
DANISH ENDURANCE® Unisex Trekking Woolen Socks
- These socks come with a slip-on closure for convenience.
- The Merino wool blend in these socks offers natural healing and cooling properties.
- It also produces cushioning and padding to reduce the risk of injuries, blisters, and aches, making them perfect for outdoor activities such as hiking and trekking.
- The socks are available in various sizes for both men and women.
FUN TOES® Unisex Cushioning Merino Wool Ankle Socks
- These socks are made with a unique blend of Nylon, Polyester, Nylon, and Spandex for a comfortable and stretchable fit.
- They are breathable and provide warmth to the feet in cold climates.
- The Merino Wool features soft cushioning on the bottom and provides arch support for added comfort.
- It is designed to support the feet, help reduce pain and soreness, and make it easy to move.
Dickies® Men's Dri-tech Warming Crew Socks
- These socks are made with Polyester, Cotton, and Spandex blend.
- The socks are soft to the touch, breathable, and moisture-absorbing.
- They are designed especially for outdoor activities such as hiking and trekking by supporting the feet’ arch.
- It provides compression to the arch for enhanced support and stability.
Alvada® Unisex Thermal Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- These socks are constructed with 80% Merino wool, 15% polyester, 4% nylon, and 1% spandex for a soft and snug fit.
- It is built to provide total support and comfort for long-term walking activities and is ideal for rugged terrains.
- The calf-high socks ensure an itch-free experience and are ultra-comfortable.
- Each pack contains three pairs of socks.