Before you go and buy an ordinary pair of socks for Winter, consider doing your homework, especially if you live in a very cold place!
In this buyer’s guide, we will cover winter boot sock basics, what materials are the best to go for and why it’s so important to purchase the best winter boot socks.
The Importance of Proper Winter Boot Socks
Winter boot socks are important in winter for three main reasons:
- Sweat and Excess Moisture – if you buy an ordinary pair of socks, your feet may sweat too much which could cause them to freeze in snowy weather! Specialized boot socks exist that extract moisture as quickly as possible, keeping your feet dry and toasty.
- Friction – if you buy a cheap pair of socks, they will likely have seams. Socks with seams are more likely to rub your feet and create blisters. These socks in themselves can cause friction inside some boots and wearing a double pair does not help, but in fact, brings double the trouble!
- Temperature Control – if you do not get the right winter socks, you also stand a risk of freezing just because the sock does not provide enough insulation or layers for your toes. Thermal gear will keep your temperature warm and regular, specially designed for extreme weather conditions.
Material Fibers in a Good Winter Boot Sock
The best winter boot socks available are made up of wool. Merino wool is one of the best wools for this purpose, insulating very well and lasting an incredible amount of time. Wool is naturally breathable while still holding the heat in. Wool is also thick enough to absorb excessive sweat. When wool is in combination with any of the following fibers, it gains extra benefits, however, it should be mostly made up of wool for the best results.
- Nylon – this will create a slight extra firmness to the sock and is good for a tight fitting product, especially if you have a narrow boot.
- Elastane / Spandex – many people are familiar with spandex shorts. When the same fibers are blended in minuscule quantities with wool fibers, the wool becomes stretchy, adding more comfort to your socks.
- Olefin – this is the material fiber you want to look out for to ensure that your sock can handle any sweatiness. Olefin dries very fast and is usually used in manufacturing swimming costumes and outdoor gear.
Features of an Excellent Winter Boot Sock
Here are five of the best winter boot sock features:
- Dual Layer Moisture Elimination – this is a system whereby moisture travels from the inner layer around your foot to the outer layer. This usually also deals with strange odors and keeps your feet dry and warm, even in rain or snow!
- Chunky Merino Wool – out of all the fabrics you could want in a boot sock for winter, Merino Wool is the number one choice regarding warmth, comfort, quality, and style. Merino wool is an all natural material that will cushion your foot and keep your temperature regulated.
- High Thread Count – if the thread count is high, it means the holes in between as well as the stitch work will be finer.
- Foot Pad Cushioning – in many modern socks, parts of the feet or arches of the feet are padded with an extra infusion of another fiber at that point. This will increase the comfort of your sock and help your feet to feel less tired after a hike or long, cold day.
- Seamless Socks – these are socks that have no seams and are less likely to cause you blisters. Reducing friction in this way has been proven to make a huge difference to walking around in one’s shoes.
Reviews: The Best Winter Boot Socks
Here below is our selection of the best winter boot socks available.
- These are a favourite amongst hikers and those who love to do mountain trails in the rain or snow.
- Made from a tight-knit blend of nylon, polyester, wool and spandex, these socks will keep your feet secure and warm all the way you wear them.
- The soles of these socks are cushioned with an extra comfortable material fiber for your luxury.
- This is not a high compression sock, imparting a mild compression t your feet.
- This sock comes available in a pack of three.
- These socks will stay up without compressing your feet at all, so you never have to worry about cutting off your circulation.
- Ideal for diabetics, crew members and those who work in harsh icy conditions frequently.
- Made from 1% nylon and 1% spandex, these socks will fit your feet nicely and keep them warm.
- The leg of the socks is open knit, allowing excess moisture to escape out.
- These boot socks are odor resistant, keeping your feet free from any smells and wicking moisture away.
- They are 100% seamless and will not give you blisters.
- These wool socks are sure to keep your feet warm in Winter or extremely cold weather conditions.
- The combination of nylon, spandex, acrylic and wool make them incredibly soft, comfortable and durable.
- These socks can be washed in the washing machine and are made in the USA.
- They come inclusive with odor elimination/control technology which allows them to control for any unwanted smells.
- The sole is reinforced with sturdier fibers for extra foot support.
- Fast Dry technology allows for excess moisture to be wicked away efficiently, keeping the feet dry for as long as possible.
- These socks are successful at keeping feet dry and toasty thanks to the combination of merino wool and olefin.
- The merino wool is chunky, supports the foot, is breathable, non-toxic and best of all, it feels incredibly soft and comfortable!
- Using olefin in the pads of the feet and arches, this sock is designed to dry fast in those areas and wick sweat away from the foot.
- Small amounts of nylon and spandex add a very mild compression, allowing for a slim fit sock that feels right at home in your boots.
- Made in the USA.
- These dainty socks are surprisingly fully equipped to manage the most extreme cold weather conditions.
- Wear these boot socks while hiking in the rain or walking in the streets during the Summertime.
- These socks have vent pads for additional breathability and are mostly made of merino wool for optimal comfort.
- Fast Dry technology helps to prevent moisture build up, keeping your feet dry all the time.
- You can wash these boot socks in the washing machine and never have to worry.
- The fibers inherent inside these knockout boot socks also eliminate strange odors that may permeate your shoes at the end of a long day.
- These are the perfect knee high boot socks to wear if you live in a colder climate.
- Chunky and made mostly from wool, these socks are blended with just the right amount of cotton for superior comfort.
- Designed with slightly extra length, you can bag this sock up inside your boots, fold them over or wear all the way up thigh high.
- Made with 5% spandex and 5% nylon, these socks will stretch to fit you perfectly and will not fall.
- Available in 3 black, gray and cream colors.
Index Table: Top Rated Winter Boot Socks
|1||Universal Textiles Men's Chunky Wool Socks - Snug Wool FIber Socks for Boots||Universal Textiles||97|
|2||Dr. Scholl’s Men's Winter Crew Socks - Diabetic Winter Boot Socks||Dr. Scholl’s||95|
|3||Carhartt Men's Extreme Cold Socks - Socks Made for Cold Weather Boots||Carhartt||96|
|4||Wigwam Unisex Premium Wool Socks - Winter Wool Socks made for Boots||Wigwam||95|
|5||Carthartt Women's Boot Socks - Stylish Boot Socks for Moisture Control||Carthartt||97|
|6||Style Gaga Women's Knee High Wool Socks - Chunky Wool Knee High Boot Socks||Style Gaga||97|
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Proper Winter Boot Socks
- Material Fibers in a Good Winter Boot Sock
- Features of an Excellent Winter Boot Sock
- Reviews: The Best Winter Boot Socks
- Universal Textiles® Men's Chunky Wool Socks Snug Wool FIber Socks for Boots
- Dr. Scholl’s® Men's Winter Crew Socks Diabetic Winter Boot Socks
- Carhartt® Men's Extreme Cold Socks Socks Made for Cold Weather Boots
- Wigwam® Unisex Premium Wool Socks Winter Wool Socks made for Boots
- Carthartt® Women's Boot Socks Stylish Boot Socks for Moisture Control
- Style Gaga® Women's Knee High Wool Socks Chunky Wool Knee High Boot Socks
- Index Table: Top Rated Winter Boot Socks