Are your calves 20-plus inches wide, and no matter what you try, it’s impossible to find boot socks that fit AND stay up? That’s where this post steps in to help!
Read further to learn where you can find boot socks to fit your legs and what features an excellent large calf sock should possess for maximum comfort.
Table of Contents
- Common Problems Large People Experience With Boot Socks
- Related Articles on Boot Socks
- Why A Specialised Sock May Be More Beneficial Than Just a Larger Sock
- Features of a Good Boot Sock for Larger Individuals
- How We Test and Score Wide Calf Boot Socks
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Wide Calf Boot Socks
- Reviews: Best Wide Calf Boot Socks
- Sock It To Me® Unisex Wide Calf Sock Diabetic Knee High Boot Socks
- Wrangler® Unisex Mens Riggs Workwear Calf Boot Socks for Swollen Feet
- MICODEMA® Women's Compression Wide Calf Boot Socks
- Extra Wide Socks® Men's Athletic Crew Socks for Large Calves
- Loose Fit Stays Up® Unisex Wide Boot Socks Stretchy Boot Socks for Wider Calves
- Xpandasox® Women's Wide Knee High Leggings Very Wide Calf Stocking Socks for Boots
- Jefferies® Unisex Military Boot Men and Womens Wide Calf Wool Socks
- Thorlos® Unisex Loose Fit Wide Calf Boot Sock
- Yacht and Smith® Unisex King Size Wide Calf Loose Fit Socks
- Comparison Table: Top Wide Calf Boot Socks
Common Problems Large People Experience With Boot Socks
If you are a larger individual that has decided to vamp up your wardrobe with boots or suddenly got a job that demands wearing boots, there are a few issues you will need to know about first. The boot is one side of the conundrum, but a boot sock is another entirely!
It would be best if you made sure that your socks are not:
- Too Small – Naturally, most socks will be too small for a larger individual. Ensure you know your foot size and look for special extra big sizes. Many socks look big enough or seem able to stretch, but that does not mean they will fit your feet.
- Falling Down – A sock may fit you, and then when you want to look good in your boots, they will keep falling because the calf part is not wide enough. Some are happy to use gel to slick them up; others use elastic bands. Neither of these solutions is helpful to your condition; both lead to further expenses in the long run.
- Restricting Blood Flow – some socks stay up on your legs thanks to tight elastic components. If this restricts your blood flow, you are in trouble, especially if you have difficulty feeling your feet. Modern boot socks are made very finely with specialized fibers that can comfortably stay on without blocking off your blood supply.
- Blocking breathability – sweaty feet can lead to foot infections, which can be dangerous if you can’t see your feet when you look down! All the horror stories of diabetic foot amputations are there for a reason. Luckily, modern fabrics come with moisture-elimination systems to prevent sweat build-up. Keeping your feet clean should take care of the rest!
Related Articles on Boot Socks
- The Best Military Boot Socks
- Winter Boot Socks
- Best Socks for Booties
- Thick Boot Socks
- Best Socks for Work Boots
- Wide Calf Boot Socks
- Best Socks for Steel Toe Boots
Why A Specialised Sock May Be More Beneficial Than Just a Larger Sock
If you have wide calves, it could be due to various reasons, most of which are related to medical conditions. Those who are obese will likely have diabetes, high or low blood pressure conditions, joint stiffness, varicose veins, excessive sweatiness, and more. This is where a specialized sock comes in super handy (not just one that stays up!).
Specialized socks for these sorts of conditions are usually all labeled diabetic socks, even though they can help alleviate several different symptoms. They are generally very soft, a little thicker, breathable, flexible, and less in the way to cause friction. This is especially important for those with blood flow problems because, as with diabetics, you stand a chance of hurting your feet and not feeling it. Wearing specialized boot socks such as wide calf boot socks and socks for work boots will prevent blisters, lessen the chance of injury to the feet, and make your feet feel like they are being pampered all day.
Features of a Good Boot Sock for Larger Individuals
These are some of the best boot sock features that can keep your feet safe and hold your socks up high.
- Seamless – socks that have no seams allow much less friction to occur. Usually, that means no more blisters and lots more comfort!
- Olefin Dual Layer Moisture Elimination – olefin is the material that swimsuits are made from for its fast drying properties. In some socks, this has been taken to the next level with a dual layer, extracting the moisture from the inner to the outer layer. This results in a dry foot all day long.
- Stretchy Spandex – spandex or lycra (same thing) are the stretchiest fabrics known to the fabric production world currently. Even just 1% can make a world of difference inside a sock, creating a stretch fiber blend that fits your foot comfortably. The most comfortable socks are born when combined with cotton, merino wool, acrylic, or olefin.
- Padded Feet Arches – with the invention of orthotics for feet, sock manufacturers started to get inventive with the padding underneath the socks themselves. Some socks come with wonderful thicker parts under the arches of your feet to provide slight pressure relief and a lot more comfort!
- Wider Calves – of course, the main feature you want is a sock with a stretch fit calf option. Avoid socks with inbuilt elastics or seams, and find those with higher spandex concentrations. It also helps measure how many inches your calves are, as many larger socks mention how wide they can stretch.
How We Test and Score Wide Calf Boot Socks
These reviews are based on intense research, analysis, and feedback from our experts and real users from different digital platforms.
We spent 35 hours trying, testing, and scoring these Wide Calf Boot Socks for different key parameters and then shortlisted the best products in the market, saving you time and effort.
We used the following parameters for our tests and analysis.
- Seamless Construction – We tested the quality and strength of the seamless construction.
- Moisture Wicking – We observed how dry or sweaty the socks left our feet after continuously wearing them for 12 hours.
- Stretchability – We test the fabric’s stretchability by hand stretching and putting them on.
- Padding – We measured the thickness of the padding on the socks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Wide Calf Boot Socks
- Do calf slimming socks work?
Slimming socks can help enhance blood flow in bigger calves. If you don’t like wide calves, consume a well-balanced diet and exercise on a regular basis to maintain a healthy body weight.
- What are diabetic socks do?
Diabetic socks are made to keep your feet dry, reduce the chance of foot injury, and improve blood circulation. They’re good part of foot care, which is an important aspect of diabetes management because high blood sugar levels can harm the nervous and circulatory systems.
- Why are boot socks thick?
The boot socks are made with thicker heels to help eliminate heel slip and to provide slight pressure relief with a lot more comfort.
- Are wide socks a thing?
Wide socks are designed for those who have extremely wide feet, ankles, or legs. It helps the feet to stretch freely and to feel comfortable throughout the use.
Reviews: Best Wide Calf Boot Socks
After lots of searching far and wide, these are some of the best wide calf boot socks that we could find available for purchase online.
We hope you love the wide calf boot socks we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- These socks are made from 65% cotton, 33% spandex, and 2% spandex, making for a very sturdy, breathable, and stretchy sock!
- Completely seamless, you never need to worry that your feet will blister or bruise inside your shoes.
- Men and women can wear these socks.
- Not suitable for calves measuring more than 21 inches in circumference.
- These socks are also available in many other fun colors, patterns, and designs, the signature of Sock It To Me’s incredible range.
- Ideal socks for people with diabetes or obese people need a pair of comfortable boot socks to work with if you choose.
- Odor Control.
- Limited Size Only.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
Wrangler® Unisex Mens Riggs Workwear Calf Boot Socks for Swollen Feet
- These socks have helped many wide calves find a perfect match for themselves.
- When you make an order, you can measure your calf (up to 22 inches wide), and the manufacturers will send you a custom size!
- It is made from nylon, polyester, and spandex for a tight, comforting fit.
- These comfortable socks are meant for mild compression to aid swelling feet that suffer from pain day in and day out (some people with diabetes will not wear these socks).
- It comes with a three-month guarantee to allow you to take your time to decide if you want to wear them or not.
- These socks are anatomically made to cushion your feet with built-in footpads and a 200 thread count.
- Made In USA.
- Reduce Swelling.
- Only Black or White Color.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
MICODEMA® Women's Compression Wide Calf Boot Socks
- These socks are made with a blend of 80% Cotton, 6% Polyester, 9% Nylon, and 5% Spandex.
- They are available in various sizes to make them ideal for everyone.
- They are designed to provide relief from pain and fatigue in the feet.
- These are wide calf boots with a reinforced ankle band for added grip and support.
- Good Price.
- Various Color Available.
- Relief Pain.
- A Bit Tight.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
Extra Wide Socks® Men's Athletic Crew Socks for Large Calves
- These nearly pure cotton socks are so soft on the feet that you never want to take them off!
- These socks should not restrict blood circulation up to 20% wider in the foot and calf portions.
- 2% spandex and 7% nylon added to the cotton allow it to stretch comfortably around the wider calf sizes.
- Ideal for those with swollen feet, swollen calves, diabetics, or similar conditions.
- Work all day long without feeling sore due to faulty socks.
- Available in a pack of three and three different colors.
- Made in the US.
Loose Fit Stays Up® Unisex Wide Boot Socks Stretchy Boot Socks for Wider Calves
- These socks are made for superior fit from superior quality materials!
- The calf portion of these socks stretches up to 25% more than ordinary socks.
- Although not seamless, the seams are designed in a ring toe design, making them entirely diabetic friendly.
- The sock is made of mostly cotton, with nylon and spandex, to complete the loose fit comfort that stays up on your legs.
- The soles of these socks are cushioned with extra fine stitchwork to support your feet.
- It is ideal for swollen calves or feet to help them feel better and provide pressure relief.
- These socks are very durable and will last you a long time.
- Made in the USA.
Xpandasox® Women's Wide Knee High Leggings Very Wide Calf Stocking Socks for Boots
- These are probably the widest calf knee-high boot stocking socks you will find.
- Made from a crazy 16% spandex, these socks can stretch up to 24 inches (sometimes more) without restricting blood supply to the feet!
- These socks are so stretchy that if you have calves under 20 inches in size, you will not be able to wear these without them falling.
- If your legs are in a cast and you need large socks to wear, these can also double as post-surgical socks stretch over bandages.
- Perfect for those who suffer from lymphedema, lipedema, edema, obesity, diabetes, and more.
- The majority of the sock is made with very soft cotton for the best breathability and comfort.
Jefferies® Unisex Military Boot Men and Womens Wide Calf Wool Socks
The Jefferies Socks is a Merino Wool Sock with a more roomy Calf fit with Boots.
- You can choose your favorite color from three neutral options.
- The socks are knee-length with a loose fit around the calves.
- Merino wool, Acrylic, Nylon, and Spandex are sued to create these socks.
- The Ribbed design offers better support n boots so that your socks do not slip down.
- These socks are also fully machine washable.
Thorlos® Unisex Loose Fit Wide Calf Boot Sock
The Thorlos Sock has a wider Calf fit, among other comfort and support features.
- These socks comprise Acrylic Wool, Nylon, and Elastane materials.
- The socks are knee-length and offer a more flexible fit around the calf.
- They are engineered specifically for people who stand all day and whose legs tend to swell.
- There are graduated light compression and a padded underfoot for support and comfort.
Yacht and Smith® Unisex King Size Wide Calf Loose Fit Socks
From Yacht & Smith, we have their King Size Sock Option designed for larger Calves.
- These are Diabetic socks available in a Crew or ankle-length from which you can select.
- The socks comprise quality cotton and elastic materials, which offer breathability and comfort.
- The fit is relaxed and non-binding with a wider calf.
- The socks also wick away moisture and breathe well.