Those hot summer days always seem like the best of days to go for a hike – that is, until the temperature starts to get unbearable and your feet begin to sweat! Fortunately, sock technology has advanced forwards enough to help us cope with these problems. This buyer’s guide is here to help you choose the best summer hiking socks for hot weather.
The Problem with Hiking in Summer
There are two main problems with hiking in hot weather, as far as our feet are concerned:
- Sweat – our feet sweat, on average, a shot glass per day! When we hike, we sweat up to five times more than that, especially if hiking a mountain on a hot day. It’s critical to remain hydrated. Aside from dehydration, sweating excessively inside shoes can cause the feet to prune and encourages infections such as athlete’s foot to flourish. When our skin is pruned, we can get blisters more easily, because the skin is weaker and easier to rub off.
- Blisters – hot weather encourages the formation of blisters more easily. This is because there is already an increased temperature. When your feet rub against the inside of your hiking boots, friction generates heat which results in the formation of a blister. Sweat (as mentioned above), also encourages blisters to form more easily by pruning skin.
How the Best Summer Hiking Socks Make A Difference
Summer hiking socks for hot weather make all the difference. The latest socks that have been developed for hiking are incredible and help annihilate sweat and blisters in one go. Fibers like olefin allow fabrics to wick away moisture within seconds. Multiple layers of fabric appear to enhance this effect, working via principles of osmosis to achieve dry feet on the go.
To prevent blisters, manufacturers have incorporated several techniques, one of which is to create seamless socks. The seam of the sock is traditionally the area people suffered from foot blisters due to continuous rubbing of the toes. Finer knit materials with higher thread counts are also an indication of the softness of the fabric and will allow for a lesser risk of blistering. Fibers such as spandex allow a sock to stretch and fit the feet perfectly, while nylon gives it a more rigid shape to allow it to stay in one place. Socks manufactured with some elements of these fibers will also reduce the risk of allowing your feet to blister.
Best Features Your Summer Hiking Sock Should Have
Here are some of the best features of socks for hiking in hot weather:
- Merino Wool – Merino wool is used for hiking socks no matter what season it is. This all natural material has the best moisture wicking properties of any other substance available. Pure merino wool will keep your feet dry throughout the year. It’s also incredibly soft and comfortable and can double up to keeping your feet warm in winter too.
- Dual Layer Moisture Elimination – some socks have dual and even triple moisture elimination systems, where the moisture moves from the inner layer to the outer layer very efficiently. This leaves the feet feeling completely dry.
- Arch Support – the best socks for hiking come with extra padded sections under the arches, heels, and ball of feet areas. This makes the sock very comfortable and helps to support your feet so that they can endure more for longer.
- Odor Control – some fabrics are sophisticated enough to blend with odor elimination technology, such as activated charcoal fibers. These will reduce or negate odors and often keep your feet free from infections too.
- These ankle high socks are ideal for running or hiking in summer or incredibly hot weather.
- Made for absorbing sweat and drying incredibly fast, these socks consist of 63% olefin!
- Uses a dual layer moisture elimination system stripping the moisture off your feet in no time.
- Feel the moisture fly off your feet as you hike a mountain or simply take a walk on a swelteringly hot day.
- These summer hiking socks are also made from 6% spandex /elastane, making them fit your feet like a dream.
- 9% nylon fibers keep this sock neatly in position on your feet, ensuring they do not slip about while you run or hike.
- Foot padding worked into the design of the socks make this fast drying number stand out from the rest not just in functionality but also in comfort.
- Made in USA.
- These are superior sweat removing socks from one of the best brands, Drymax.
- Ideal for wearing with combat boots or any other hiking boots, these socks will allow your feet to breathe easily and keep your feet dry.
- The signature dual layer moisture elimination system of Drymax socks takes the moisture from the inner sock layer to the outer layer.
- The socks are made of 50% Olefin, which dries very quickly!
- In-built odor elimination keeps your feet feeling fresh all day long.
- These long socks can be used in Winter or Summer.
- These long hiking socks are great for using all year round for hiking, running or working in boots.
- Made from 74% merino wool, these socks are highly absorbent and also naturally moisture wicking, ensuring your feet are kept at a constant dry temperature.
- Padded arch support gives your feet the best possible boost for walking in your hiking shoes and makes for very comfortable hikes.
- Strategically reinforced zones of the foot have been instilled in the design to help keep your feet blister free.
- Spandex fibers meshed into this sock allow it to fit perfectly every time.
- Made in Canada.
- If you love hiking but can’t manage sweat or blisters in your boots, then you should consider buying this ultra-protective moisture destroying sock.
- A double layer of acrylic enhances the levels of chitosan, which is naturally odor resistant and anti-bacterial.
- Support your feet underneath their arches with these socks and experience a much lighter hike with superior comfort.
- Dry Release moisture elimination system helps to control sweating, keeping feet dry for longer.
- These boots are taller and made of almost 25% nylon, ensuring a tight fit.
- Machine Washable and made in the USA.
- These are truly “socks for the people,” keeping your feet at a perfect temperature and free from sweat.
- These socks are reinforced at the heels and toes for extra protection and comfort.
- Made from 71% merino wool, allowing sweat to evaporate quickly through the thin membrane, without allowing your feet to get too hot or cold.
- 21% nylon fused with 1% spandex allows these shoes to comfortably stay put on your feet, regardless of such a short length.
- Made in the USA.
- You should hand wash with cold water to keep them at their best.
- 63% Olefin
- Anti-Slip Wedge
- Padded Toe Protection
- 50% Olefin
- Arch Support
- 74% Merino Wool
- Moisture Elimination
- Odor Control
- 71% Merino Wool
- Reinforced Heels and Toes
- The Problem with Hiking in Summer
- How the Best Summer Hiking Socks Make A Difference
- Best Features Your Summer Hiking Sock Should Have
- Summer Hiking Socks for Hot Weather Reviews
- Drymax Unisex Stay Dry Run Socks Summer Weather Ankle Socks for Running
- Drymax Unisex Long Summer Socks Moisture Eliminating Long Socks for Hiking
- Sox Shop Unisex Merino Hiking Socks All Season Long Summer Hiking Socks
- Wigwam Men's Dry Release Hiking Socks Comfortable Mesh Socks for Hot Summer Hiking
- People Socks Unisex Merino Ankle Socks Reinforced Merino Summer Ankle Socks for Hiking
- Index Table: Summer Hiking Socks for Hot Weather
Summer Hiking Socks for Hot Weather Reviews
Have a look at our best selection of summer hiking socks for hot weather alongside their features.
Index Table: Summer Hiking Socks for Hot Weather
|1||Drymax Unisex Stay Dry Run Socks - Summer Weather Ankle Socks for Running||Drymax||98|
|2||Drymax Unisex Long Summer Socks - Moisture Eliminating Long Socks for Hiking||Drymax||95|
|3||Sox Shop Unisex Merino Hiking Socks - All Season Long Summer Hiking Socks||Sox Shop||97|
|4||Wigwam Men's Dry Release Hiking Socks - Comfortable Mesh Socks for Hot Summer Hiking||Wigwam||95|
|5||People Socks Unisex Merino Ankle Socks - Reinforced Merino Summer Ankle Socks for Hiking||People Socks||98|
Table of Contents