Ever wondered where tube socks come from, why they’re called tube socks and where you can get some good ones?
Scroll down for more info on the history of tube socks, what materials they should be made from as well as some of their best features before selecting your favorite pair!
A Brief History of Knee High Tube Socks
Everyone knows about tube socks, these ‘rad’ socks that are incredibly comfortable and seem to be popular amongst both skaters and high school jocks alike – but where did they come from, and what makes them so different from any other cotton socks?
Tube socks get their name from their shape. Instead of having a heel in them, they are merely a simple tube shape that has been stitched up on one end. This makes them easy to manufacture, comfortable, and appropriate for both males and females.
Historians date the first appearance of tube socks back to around the 1800s, although many speculate they existed long before due to their simple structure.
Nowadays, most people associate the origin of the tube sock back to the ’60s and ’70s along with the rise of multiple new sports. Tube socks allowed for easy production and were the first time that athletes started to match their socks with their uniforms.
Most Comfortable Tube Sock Materials
Tube socks were initially made purely from cotton. These days one can find all sorts of tube socks and materials, but cotton has remained as the go-to for many. Any of the below materials will also make exceptional tube socks, especially when blended with cotton.
- Spandex – Spandex will add an extra degree of stretch to your tube socks, something the old school ones didn’t have. This will ensure the sock fits you better without losing its shape.
- Nylon – Nylon is used primarily to reinforce the sock at the points it’s likely to wear first, such as the toes. It also lengthens the lifespan of the socks.
- Acrylic – Acrylic is the synthetic counterpart of wool and is able to hold colors a lot better than wool can. Having some acrylic in the blend will give your sock better moisture-wicking properties and keep your feet and calves feeling fresher for longer.
Features of a Good Knee High Tube Socks
The best features of knee-high tube socks are:
- Non-Restrictive – Tube socks are usually non-restrictive, which means that they fit around your calves without blocking blood flow. Look for tube socks that do not contain an elastic band for the best results.
- Seamless – Seamless tube socks do not have a seam by the toes, making them entirely blister proof and reducing the amount of friction on your feet.
- Cost-Effective – Tube socks are almost always cost-effective when compared to other novelty socks! They are cheaper to produce than ordinary socks, but due to lesser demand, they are still more expensive than cheap dress socks.
- Bright – Initially designed to attract people’s attention on the playing field, tube socks come in a bright array of different colors. They also often have stripes, making it easy to match the socks with sports uniforms or to make a retro fashion statement.
Reviews: Knee High Tube Sock
Scroll down and get ready to rock a pair of the best knee high tube socks!
- These knee-high retro skater socks will have you looking like something out of the ’70s, especially if you intend to wear them while skating!
- Made from 86% acrylic, their bright, vibrant colors will last and keep your legs and feet feeling cozy year long.
- The tops of the socks are held up by a non-binding elastic as well as a rib-knit stitch design around the calves to allow for a secure fit.
- These are made just like the tube socks back in the day, having a tube shape versus a built-in heel.
- Choose from 11 different colors and sync them with your friends, for special events or athletic endeavors.
- Choose from over 25 funky and vibrant colors of these adorable knee high vintage tube socks.
- Ideal for cuddling up at home, wearing to school and dress up events or pull off that retro skater look.
- Made from 70% cotton, some spandex, and some polyester fibers to reinforce the socks, these tube socks feel as soft as they look.
- These tube socks are not held up by an elastic band at all, staying up only from a strip of soft spandex and cotton.
- Designed without a heel in the sock, these tube socks are comfortable, functional, and bound to fit most ladies’ foot sizes.
- If you are looking for an ordinary pair of tube socks for comfort more than anything else, then you have just found your match!
- These are made out of 82% cotton with a little bit of acrylic and spandex to give it extra softness, moisture-wicking capacity, and stretch.
- 10% nylon in these socks ensures that they will last you far longer than an ordinary pair of socks.
- The socks measure up to 25 inches, making them knee-high for adults and thigh-high for kids.
- The no heel design and multiple color options make them ideal for any use you have in mind for them.
- These tube socks will bring you right back into the 20th century, with their bright stripes and old-school basketball player design.
- True to traditional tube socks, these are made without heels and go right up to slightly over the knee.
- 20% nylon ensures that they will last through many washes without wearing out or getting holes.
- 80% acrylic allows for the socks to retain their bright pigment so you can spend more time rocking them than worrying.
- Choose from over 20 different color combinations to suit your tube sock needs.
- Here is a great pack of cost effective retro skater socks, all designed without heels as is decreed by tradition.
- Perfect for casual use or for playing sports in, the socks are made from very comfortable and breathable stretch cotton.
- All the pairs in the pack of 5 are white with stripes that are each one of red, black, blue, yellow, and green.
- The variation of colors makes them easy to match with a sports uniform or events as required.
- These socks are steadfast and will not fall down very easily, making them useful for athletic activities.
From Joulii, we have a highly breathable and lightweight knee-high tube sock.
- Made from Cotton, Nylon, and Elastane that is lightweight and breathable.
- Tube sock with triple stripes that fit over the calf.
- Soft and comfortable against the skin.
- Excellent for many occasions.
The NeoNation Tube sock is a one of a kind treasure available in a range of sizes and fits.
- Many different white bases and neon-colored stripe options.
- Perfect fit, not too thick or thin.
- Comfort-Fit Stretch design that is highly elastic.
- Lightweight and very breathable materials are used.
Neno Colored knee high Tube Socks from Angelina, the Referee is available in any bright neon color imaginable.
- Highly elastic design and materials that are quite durable and long-lasting.
- It is made from breathable and lightweight fabrics.
- Acrylic and spandex are used to manufacture these socks.
- Easily machine washable and can be tumble dried at low heat.
- Cotton and polyester Knee High Tube Socks.
- Three-striped pattern designs are available in different colored stripe options in a white sock.
- It comes in a four-pair pack set.
- Cotton is comfortable and breathable and very lightweight.
- Comfortable and soft high cotton socks available in a few neutral color selections.
- A classic style that is ideal for all occasions and outfits.
- Breathable and soft and against the skin.
- Colorful and fun printed knee-high tube socks for all occasions.
- Available in many different colors, patterns, and prints to choose from.
- It is made with 100% cotton and polyester with spandex for elasticity.
- Ideal for everyday wear, soft and breathable.
Comparison Table: Top Knee High Tube Socks
Table of Contents
- A Brief History of Knee High Tube Socks
- Most Comfortable Tube Sock Materials
- Features of a Good Knee High Tube Socks
- Reviews: Knee High Tube Sock
- AJ® Unisex Retro Tube Socks Knee High Retro Tube Socks
- AM Landen® Women's Cotton Tube Socks Cute Knee High Cotton Tube Socks
- SKATERSOCKS® Unisex Tube Socks Knee High Skater Tube Socks
- Chrissy's Socks® Women's Old School Socks Reinforced Retro Knee High Tube Socks
- Dream Field® Men's Cotton Tube Socks Pack of 5 Old School Skater Socks
- Joulli® Unisex Triple Stripes Knee High Tube Sock
- NeoNation® Unisex Tube Knee High Tube Socks
- Angelina® Unisex Referee Neon CoolredTtube Socks
- DreamField® Men's Classic Knee High Tube Socks
- Zando® Women's Casual Knee High Tube Socks with Stripes
- JuDanzy® Kids's Coolrful Knee High Tube Socks for Kids
- Comparison Table: Top Knee High Tube Socks