Shopping for knee-high socks that accommodate those with wider calves is not always easy or cost effective! Purchasing a pair of them online is often cheaper, but without knowing what to look for, you may make a mistake and get a pair that is too small. Read further for more information to help you make the best wide calf sock purchase, as well as saving time and money in the process.
Types of Knee High Wide Calf Socks
The below socks are different kinds of wide calf socks that each serve a different purpose.
- Compression Socks – Compression socks are socks that mildly constrict the veins and arteries in your legs, ankles, and feet. This mild constriction forces these areas to rely on increased micro circulation to get the blood moving around, which improves overall circulation and increases your energy levels! Compression socks are also great for alleviating pressure or pain by applying just the right amount of pressure to common problem areas in the feet and calves. Compression socks are ideal for those with edema, swelling or cramps.
- Diabetic Socks – Diabetic socks are traditionally non-binding socks that are entirely comfortable. The main purposes of diabetic socks are to ensure that the feet are protected because diabetics often lose feeling in their feet and legs. This makes diabetics susceptible to being bruised or hurt without being aware of it, and that can lead to further complications due to under functioning repair mechanisms. Diabetic socks also prevent feet from getting blisters and usually accommodate for wide calves.
- Wide Calf Dress Socks – Wide calf dress socks are any casual socks that serve no special function, other than staying up on the calf, accommodating a wider calf and being able to be worn for athletic, casual or formal occasions.
Best Wide Calf Sock Materials
The best possible fibers that wide calf socks are made usually contain these below fibers in combination with either wool, rayon or cotton.
- Spandex – You can’t find a wide calf knee high sock that doesn’t have spandex in it. Spandex is what gives modern day fabrics their stretch factor. Wide calf socks ordinarily will contain anywhere from 2 to 10% spandex in them. For extremely wide calves, look for 10% or more spandex in the blend. Other names for spandex include lycra and elastane.
- Nylon – Nylon was the first synthetic fiber manufactured and is still widely used today in hosiery and socks. In knee high socks for wider calves, manufacturers include it in for additional micro fiber padding and foot support. Nylon ventilation is also used to enhance air circulation, improve durability and to help dyes attach better into the socks.
- Olefin – Olefin is the primary fiber used in swimwear and outdoor gear for its uncanny ability to dry incredibly fast. If you are looking for anti-perspiration socks that wick moisture, they should have some olefin in them.
Top Quality Knee High Sock Features for Wide Calves
These features will make your socks feel very comfortable, and you will likely not want to take them off after putting them on!
- Seamless – Seamless socks are stitched together by machines without having a seam. The advantage of wearing seamless socks is that your chance of getting blisters from the sock itself is reduced to zero!
- Elastic Free – For those with wide calves, it’s important to wear socks that do not have an elastic band in them to hold them up, or you could restrict your blood flow severely. Non-binding socks have been invented that either has a special knitted top or a spandex band to keep them in place.
- Graduated Compression – Compression socks come in three different types of compression levels. Graduated compression socks combined all three of these compression types into one sock, applying varying degrees of compression where they’re required most. This makes them very much more efficient and comfortable.
- Arch Support – Socks that provide some arch support will not only feel more luxurious; they will give a boost to your stride! Arch support helps to prevent tired feet, plantar fasciitis, a ball of foot pain, pulled muscles the feet and more.
- Moisture Elimination – Socks with moisture elimination are great for more reasons than people realize. The first reason is that excessive moisture creates friction from a pruned skin, which often leads to blisters. The second reason is to stop bacteria and fungus from growing in moist conditions on your feet! Moisture elimination also aids in reducing unwanted foot odors that are usually caused by bacteria.
Reviews: Knee High Wide Calf Socks
If you need a pair of wide calf socks, be sure to take a look at these fantastic knee-high socks we’ve reviewed below!
- These wide calf knee high socks can stretch up to 24 inches around the calves, making them ideal for those who suffer from lymphedema or any conditions with swelling.
- The socks are well ventilated with a ventilation mesh panel, keeping your feet dry and fresh all day long.
- The socks are made using a soft cotton for easy care, durability and to pamper tired and aching feet and legs.
- Underfoot cushioning helps to give arch pressure relief, commonly found in those with leg swellings.
- A 13% spandex nylon panel is what gives the sock it’s ultimate capacity to expand.
- These socks are made from pure cotton for the best comfort and natural moisture wicking capacity.
- They are extra thick and chunky, making them ideal for wearing in cold weather, but not the extreme cold or snow.
- They have been woven especially in a ribbed knit to make them stretchy, yet still retaining the natural cotton look.
- A top stretch segment in these socks allows them to accommodate wide calves and those with deep vein thrombosis, lymphedema, and diabetes.
- Comes in a pack of 3.
- There is a 30-day money-back guarantee, which means you’ve got nothing to lose!
- These knee high wide calf socks can expand up to 30 inches in circumference, providing long-lasting comfort to those with swollen or thick legs.
- The 11% nylon imparts durability and allows these socks to be machine washable without shrinkage.
- 87% cotton ensures maximum comfort, keeping your feet feeling pampered all the while you wear them!
- The socks have 2% spandex plus a specialized stretch comfort knit, designed for wide calves and those who need non-binding socks.
- Ideal for patients with edema, lymphedema, diabetes, aches, swellings, deep vein thrombosis, spider veins and more.
- These knee high socks will stretch to accommodate most calf sizes and provide a medium compression of 15-20 mmHg.
- Diabetics will love these seamless socks, as they do not add friction or cause blisters inside your shoes!
- The 200 thread count ensures maximum comfort, breathability, and a luxury compared to some of the softest cotton linen.
- These knee-high compression socks are highly durable, fortified with tough fibers for long-lasting pressure relief.
- Perfect for those dealing with surgery recovery, plantar fasciitis, deep vein thrombosis, diabetes, and edema.
- Athletes, nurses and those who are on their feet all day will appreciate the enhanced performance and circulation these socks give.
- These knee-high socks were made for those with wider calves who want to be fashionable in style and comfort!
- 75% cotton ensures all natural comfort and allows your feet to breathe, preventing a build-up of moisture.
- These wide calf socks are super stretchy, including 5% spandex throughout the entire sock.
- Ideal for those not only with wide calves, but also for those who have swollen feet or large ankles.
- The circumference of the socks can stretch all the way up to 21 inches without feeling restrictive or unpleasant.
Comparison Table: Top Wide Calf Knee High Socks
|1||Xpandasox Women's Wide Lymphedema Socks - Wide Knee High Socks for Lymphedema||Xpandasox||92|
|2||Zaftig Women's Large Calf Cotton Socks - Knee High Cotton Socks for Large Calves||Zaftig||95|
|3||Iomi Sock Shop Unisex Non Binding Diabetic Socks - Ultra Wide Knee High Cotton Socks||Iomi Sock Shop||96|
|4||ABD Athlete Unisex Stretch Compression Socks - Knee High Compression Socks for Wide Calves||ABD Athlete||91|
|5||Sock It To Me Women's Ultra Stretch Socks - Knee High Wide Calf Stretch Socks||Sock It To Me||96|