Whether you live in a cold climate or work in a cold environment, there is nothing like a pair of thick boot socks to keep your feet warm! Read down below to learn more about what materials make the best thick boot socks, thick boot sock online buying precautions and what features make a thick boot sock extraordinary.
Comparison Table for the Best Thick Boot Socks
|1||Carhartt Men's Arctic Wool Boot Socks - Rugged Cold Weather Thick Boot Socks||Carhartt||98|
|2||Pure Athlete Unisex Cold Weather Boot Socks - Thick Outdoor Wool Boot Socks||Pure Athlete||97|
|3||Thorlos Unisex Knee High Boot Socks - Warm Thick Knee High Boot Socks||Thorlos||94|
|4||Workforce Unisex Ribbed Thick Boot Socks - Perfect Thick Work Boot Socks||Workforce||94|
|5||Sox Shop Unisex Canadian Trooper Boot Socks - Tough Thick Soldier Boot Socks||Sox Shop||95|
Boot Sock Fibers & How They Work
Thick boot socks that are designed for keeping out frigid temperatures are usually made of a combination of two or more of these fibers:
- Wool – wool is one of the best possible insulating fibers you can find. It’s breathable, moisture wicking dries fast and feels very comfortable! Wool is also naturally flame resistant and antibacterial.
- Acrylic – acrylic can be described as a man-made wool, being constructed of synthetic fibers to achieve a similar effect to wool. Acrylic is not as flame resistant as wool and tends to shrink more easily. However, it does confer longevity, comfort, and insulation.
- Spandex – spandex is what sock manufacturers use to make a sock stretchy, very comfortable and best fitting. Lycra and elastane are other patented names that spandex goes by. If fabric says “stretch” before it, such as ‘stretch nylon’, it means that it has been imbued with spandex before being knitted into the sock with the other fibers.
- Nylon – nylon was the first synthetic fiber created. It is cost effective to produce and increases the durability of socks. Nylon has also been used to make socks more comfortable, used to make sturdy padding or compression.
- Olefin – olefin is a synthetic fiber used largely for outdoor equipment and swimming costumes. Olefin’s main characteristic is that it’s quick drying, which is of critical importance in a cold weather sock!
Thick Boot Sock Online Buying Precautions
Before ordering a potentially brilliant pair of thick boot socks online, here is a short checklist that will help you assess if they’re suitable for your needs:
- Sizing – many online sock purchases are unsatisfactory because of the sizing of the socks. If you have very large feet or calves, it’s a good idea to get a size up – you can always return them for a size up or down at a later stage. If the sock has a larger percentage of spandex in it (over 8%), being strict about sizing becomes less necessary.
- Binding – this is particularly important for those who have diabetes, swelling in the calves or insufficient blood circulation. Cheap boot socks use elastic at the top of the socks to hold them up, which can cause a loss of blood flow as well as aches and pains in the legs. Be safe and get a pair of non-constricting boot socks.
- Breathability – You need your socks to allow your skin to breathe, or else you will sweat and have cold, wet feet all day long! As a rule of thumb, natural materials breathe better than synthetics. Double check that your thick boot socks come with either a portion of wool or some moisture elimination.
The Best Work Boot Sock Features of All Time
A basic thick boot sock for harsh icy conditions should keep your feet warm as well as dry quickly to rid your feet of excessive moisture. That’s not all thick boot socks can do! These features will make your boot socks extraordinary by comparison.
- Reinforced Underfoot Padding – many work crew boot socks come with a thin layer of padding, making walking a lot more comfortable. Some of them can redirect impact from your feet, fending off foot fatigue and arch pain.
- Odor Resistance – a build-up of perspiration, even in moisture wicking socks, can lead to very smelly feet after a hard day’s work. Specialized socks have been infused with odor resistance, allowing feet to stay fresh and smell good. Antimicrobial socks may also eliminate odors which are commonly caused by bacteria or fungus.
- Dual Layer Moisture Elimination – the best form of sock moisture wicking is a dual layer moisture elimination system. The inner layer is usually made from an absorbent material that keeps your feet warm and soft. The outer layer is generally made of pure olefin for incredible fast drying action. The moisture hops across to the outer layer instantly, wicking away while keeping your feet permanently dry.
- Seamless – sock seams are the number one cause of blisters, especially in thick boot socks. A seamless sock removes this issue entirely, letting you enjoy your socks without creating any friction in your boots.
- Compression – if your feet ache or feel swollen, a mild compression sock could be of great benefit to you. Compression socks give specific areas of the foot and calf a light squeeze, forcing the leg to rely on micro circulation. This makes it easier for blood to flow away from the feet, enhancing energy levels and reducing foot pain.
Thick Boot Sock Reviews
Below we have compiled a list of some of the best boot socks available online to make it easier for you to find your match.
- For all those who enjoy braving snow on the tundra or who work in cold, rugged conditions, these socks will keep your feet warm, secure and protected.
- Made of a sophisticated blend of wool, nylon, acrylic, and spandex, for long lasting comfort and insulation.
- The heel and toe portions of the sock offer reinforced padding for exceptional comfort and pressure relief.
- The top of the sock stays up without a binding elastic, using a good old-fashioned cable knit design that also doubles up the sock’s insulation.
- FastDry Technology (patented by Carhartt), ensures ultimate moisture wicking and keeps feet dry.
- Ideal for working out at sea, in snow or just keeping your feet comfortably snug in freezing climates.
- These thick boot socks are perfect for somebody who leads a highly active lifestyle in exceptionally cold weather.
- Made of a pure yarn blend, these socks are breathable, warm and cushion the feet with a natural softness.
- Great for outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing, hockey or for strolling around in the snow!
- Superior moisture wicking technology keeps your feet perspiration free, making these socks feel even warmer than they are.
- Pure Athlete is confident that these socks will last you a lifetime, and as such have included a lifetime warranty as well as a 30-day money back guarantee to test them out.
- The popular US brand Thorlos caters to those who live in cold climates that require medical-grade orthopaedic foot support.
- These thick knee high boot socks have superior underfoot padding, covering the entire underside of the feet.
- The seams are designed to be low profile so as not to rub or cause friction and blisters.
- The Thorlorn fiber blend found in these socks is soft, warm and incredibly comfortable, as well as being exclusive to Thorlos.
- If your feet don’t feel better, you can contact Thorlos at any time for your money back, and they will be glad to assist you.
- With a brand name like Workforce, it’s no surprise that these socks are fantastic for use as work boot socks to keep feet protected all day long!
- Made from 60% wool, your feet will feel pampered and warm while you wear your boots.
- The socks are elastic free, holding themselves up with a soft wool cable knit that rests comfortably under the knee.
- The ribbed design allows for additional ventilation, moisture wicking, and perfect insulation.
- Ideal for wearing in hiking boots, work boots or in cold weather.
- These socks are available in a cost effective pack of three and will last you a long time.
- To care for them, make sure to only wash in cold water.
- Sox Shop has designed these knee high boot socks to match the standards of the Canadian Army, making them fit for troopers and adventurers alike!
- Knee high, they cater for freezing climates and are built to keep feet from freezing over in Canada and other frigid climates.
- Made from 60% itch-free wool and 40% durable nylon, these socks will stay in excellent condition for a very long time.
- The soles of the socks are thickly cushioned to keep feet comfortable in rough work boots or hiking boots.
- These thick boot socks are naturally moisture wicking and will stay up without constricting blood flow.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for the Best Thick Boot Socks
- Boot Sock Fibers & How They Work
- Thick Boot Sock Online Buying Precautions
- The Best Work Boot Sock Features of All Time
- Thick Boot Sock Reviews
- Carhartt Men's Arctic Wool Boot Socks Rugged Cold Weather Thick Boot Socks
- Pure Athlete Unisex Cold Weather Boot Socks Thick Outdoor Wool Boot Socks
- Thorlos Unisex Knee High Boot Socks Warm Thick Knee High Boot Socks
- Workforce Unisex Ribbed Thick Boot Socks Perfect Thick Work Boot Socks
- Sox Shop Unisex Canadian Trooper Boot Socks Tough Thick Soldier Boot Socks