Nothing keeps the cold out better than wool knee-high socks!
Read more to find out what the best wool knee-high socks are for you, how they can benefit you, and some of the best knee-high sock features.
Benefits & Properties of Wool Socks
Wool as a fiber has been used for thousands of years in both hot and cold climates around the globe. Wool has unique properties which benefit us in the following ways:
- Wool is one of the best insulation fibers. It can keep any part of your body at a constant temperature, which is ideal for all climates.
- Wool wicks moisture away quickly. Wool fibers are quick-drying and allow perspiration or accidental water in your shoes to dry very quickly.
- Wool is flame resistant. Wool has been used as an effective flame barrier in mattresses and other products, including socks and clothing.
- Wool is very comfortable. The soft feel of wool, particularly merino wool, will pamper your feet. Chunky wool will offer you mild arch support too.
- Wool lasts a long time. Wool is a very durable fiber if you look after it properly. Traditionally wool shrinks if washed at a high temperature. Make sure to cold wash wool on a gentle setting, and your wool socks will last for many years.
- Wool is hypoallergenic. Wool is an all-natural material that undergoes barely any synthetic refinement, making it entirely hypoallergenic and natural.
Different Types of Wool Knee High Socks
Wool knee-high socks are purchased for different purposes, depending on what type you need:
- Compression Socks – wool compression socks are orthopedic socks that confer a mild constriction of blood vessels in select areas on the calf, ankles, and foot. This compression gives pressure point relief as well as increasing circulation. Patients who are bedridden, diabetics, nurses, travelers, athletes and anyone on their feet all day every day will benefit the most from wool compression socks.
- Boot Socks – wool boot socks don’t only look great, they are made to prevent blistering all the way up the leg, and they keep you nice and warm.
- Crew Socks – knee-high wool crew socks are ideal for those out at sea or who work in very wet or cold conditions. Wool crew socks dry off quickly, keep your feet warm, and help you to feel comfortable all day long while you are doing your job. Ideal for sailors, trawlers, or those who work at the harbor or on a ship.
- Running/Hiking Socks – wool running or hiking socks are specialized to deal with excessive perspiration and heightened performance. Often these socks come with foot support, additional moisture-wicking properties, and very lightweight design.
Features of a Good Wool Knee High Sock
If your knee-high wool socks have the below characteristics, consider them to be better than average wool socks!
- Dual Layer – more than one layer of fabric is a fantastic feature that enhances moisture elimination. The outer layer is often made of olefin (a rapid drying fiber), while the inner layer is made of insulating, quick-drying wool. As soon as your feet sweat, the outer layer absorbs the moisture from the inner layer, keeping your feet dry while the outer layer wicks the moisture away quickly.
- Spandex – Spandex is an essential fiber that imparts a stretch quality to socks. If you have swollen legs or feet or are a larger individual, make sure your wool socks have a portion of spandex (also known as lycra) for the best fit results. Spandex also increases the comfort the sock imparts, and just as little as 1-10% can make a big difference!
- Arch Support – These days, nylon and other strong fibers are used in micro amounts under the arches of the feet to give support. Foot support is vital for those who experience foot pain or plantar fasciitis on a daily basis. It helps the muscles in the feet from tiring out and allows for longer stretches of comfortable standing, walking, or running.
- Padding – some socks have mild padding under the sock, which contributes to redirecting shock away from the foot. This all in all makes for lighter stepping, less foot pain as well as a bounce to your step.
- Antibacterial – one of the main reasons we like to keep our feet dry is to avoid fungal and bacterial infections (e.g., Athlete’s Foot). Antibacterial fibers have been blended into socks to remove this problem. Those who wear their socks for longer than an 8-hour workday would do good to look into antibacterial or antimicrobial socks.
Reviews: Best Wool Knee High Sock
Below is our selection of premium wool knee-high socks and their features! Have a look and see if you can find one that works for you.
- A soft and silky Merino Wool knee-high sock with a ribbed knit design.
- Available in a few bold and neutral colors to choose from and comes in sets of three similar or different colors.
- A timeless and classic ribbed style that is ideal for formal as well as casual occasions and situations.
- Very comfortable fit that will not slip off or bunch up in your shoes.
- It is designed and manufactured in the USA with excellent quality Merino wool.
- The Heel and toe are reinforced for better long-lasting durability.
- This silky soft merino wool knee-high sock is made of a luxurious 62% merino wool in combination with spandex for optimal comfort, fit and durability.
- Ideal for those with moderately aching calves or feet, these wool socks confer a mild compression that alleviates pressure and keeps the socks in place all day.
- While wearing these socks, your heels and toes are securely padded, making it a breeze to walk through your day!
- One can wear these socks in Summer or in Winter (provided it does not snow), due to the incredible moisture-wicking properties of merino wool.
- Memory knit construction keeps the sock in the perfect shape, regardless of how many times you wash it.
- For those of us who are keen on an active lifestyle, these are a must have pair of socks!
- The underside of the sock is arch supportive, cushioning the arches of the feet and keeping them safe from direct impacts.
- Superior merino wool, nylon and spandex blend ensures that these socks stay up all day without shifting on or chafing your legs.
- The seam of these socks is hidden so well that they are regarded as being seamless socks.
- A perfect gift for anyone who enjoys hiking, bike rides, walking, running, or those who need to be on their feet most of the time.
- Experience the superior softness of merino wool boot socks done up in a classic sassy style.
- The wool knit stitch keeps your legs warm while allowing any excess perspiration to wither away.
- Keep yourself looking good as well as warm this Winter with these socks.
- Comes available in five vibrant, stylish colors to match anything in your wardrobe!
- Wig Wam takes pride in their superior care and quality expertise in the sock making industry and are a 4th generation family-operated business.
- Machine washable and made in the USA.
- Includes a 2 year performance guarantee.
- These knee-high socks are made of the best quality of merino wool in the world, specially selected for hiking the most extreme trails!
- Worry not about over sweating in your hiking boot again – these socks have some of the best moisture-wicking qualities on the market.
- The fine gauge merino wool is inherently antimicrobial and antibacterial, making it an excellent choice for those who suffer from wet feet.
- The seamless design, as well as the stabilizing nylon fibers, allow for you to step without fearing blisters.
- Underfoot cushioning redirects force away from the heels and arches of the feet, keeping you moving for longer without tiring out.
- This cost effective compression sock is a good middle of the range compression sock, suitable to improve circulation and energy while on your feet.
- Structurally enhanced compression zones around the arches of the feet, the ankles, heels, and up the calf give the stimulation your blood vessels need.
- Reduce cramps and improve your performance as a nurse, doctor, traveler, athlete, bodybuilder, gymnast, runner, hiker, chef, diabetic, and more.
- These wool knee-high compression socks come with padding under the feet for added protection.
- Seamless and breathable, the socks will wick all the moisture off your feet, keeping them dry and blister-free.
- Ideal for those who have varicose veins or swellings that need a slightly less intense compression than standard medical compression socks.
- Durable knee-high socks made from Pure Merino wool Nylon and acrylic fibers for strength and warmth.
- Ideal for outdoor activities and designed for optimal performance.
- Available in bold colorful design options.
- Recommended by many mountaineers.
- A soft and comfortable wool and acrylic sock that is machine washable.
- Wool lined for insulation and fas dry technology to move sweat away and keep you dry.
- Antimicrobial technology that fights odors.
- Reinforced toe and heel and a cushioned sole for all-day comfort.
- A comfortable thigh-high wool sock that is warm and cozy.
- Available in many bright and neutral colors to choose from.
- It offers a 9-11 men’s fit and a 5-10 women fit option.
- Warm and cozy with a comfortable fit.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Knee High Wool Socks
Table of Contents
- Benefits & Properties of Wool Socks
- Different Types of Wool Knee High Socks
- Features of a Good Wool Knee High Sock
- Reviews: Best Wool Knee High Sock
- BoardroomSocks® Unisex Merino Wool Ribbed Reinforced Wool Knee High Boot SocksKnee High Wool Socks
- Fox River® Women's Wool Knee High Socks Reinforced Wool Knee High Boot Socks
- Smart Wool® Unisex Wool Knee High Lifestyle Socks Arch Supportive Knee High Fine Wool Socks
- Wig Wam® Women's Lilly Knee High Boot Socks Unbelievably Soft Knee High Merino Wool Socks
- Darn Tough® Men's Knee High Hiking Socks Wool Knee High Socks for Hiking
- Fit Spirit® Unisex Merino Wool Compression Socks Wool Knee High Medium Compression Socks
- Danish Endurance® Unisex Outdoor Knee High Wool Socks
- Carhartt® Women's Outdoor Scene Wool Thigh High Socks
- Sumona® Unisex Cable Knit Thigh High Wool Socks
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Knee High Wool Socks