Have you ever wondered what constitutes the best socks for hiking?
In this buying guide, we discuss the importance of knowing about socks for hiking, tips to improve your game, as well as the best features that constitute hiking socks.
The Importance of Wearing Waterproof Socks
If you are new to hiking, you may not know that it tends to get wetter than one anticipates! When in natural terrain, you may encounter streams, mud or rain which can get into your socks if you purchase ordinary socks. In cold climates, in particular, this is problematic as moisture can freeze your feet or worse.
If you sweat a lot, a waterproof sock can make all the difference in keeping your foot dry and odor free. When our feet are exposed to excess moisture, the skin begins to prune, which can cause blisters with excess rubbing. The best socks for hiking are seamless, fit tight and create little to no friction over your foot. An added benefit of purchasing specialized hiking socks is that you will indeed save money. Ordinary socks are not nearly as durable and will wear away much faster.
Helpful Hiking Tips & Precautions
To help keep your hiking as enjoyable and as long as possible, there are a few additional tips and precautions you can take:
- If you live in a sunny region, use sunscreen to protect your skin.
- Wear tight-fitting, specialized gear to keep at a constant temperature when you hike.
- Make sure your shoes are an exact match to your foot with your socks on. This ensures you do not slip or slide around in them when on your journey and prevents blistering. Insoles for your hiking boots may be a possible solution if your shoes are too big or do not support your feet adequately.
- Have a carrier bag or belt with a water bottle included somewhere. It’s essential to keep hydrated!
- Purchase a pair of good quality waterproof socks, designed for hiking.
Qualities of a Good Waterproof Socks
Some of the best qualities found in hiking socks are as follows.
- Olefin Layers – olefin is the quick-drying fiber that is used in specialized gear and swimwear. When infused in hiking socks, it allows any moisture to dry out at a much faster rate. Good quality hiking socks are made of typically 40% or more olefin.
- Multiple Layers – some hiking socks have multiple layers of material. Usually, the inner layer gets kept 100% dry, allowing moisture to pass through very quickly to the outer layers.
- Odour Control – look for materials that encourage odor removal or socks which have an odor elimination system. If the sock is anti-bacteria, anti-microbial or anti-fungal, it likely discourages organisms which can create smells in the feet.
- Underfoot Padding – sports socks tend to be lined for extra comfort under the arches of the feet and other sensitive areas. This can help you to step easier, feel more comfortable and get an exact fit inside your sock. Some socks add a little bit of shock absorption thanks to underfoot padding.
- Wool Fibers – if you live in a climate where it snows, wool fibers in your socks is a superb idea. Wool is a very versatile material, keeping moisture out but trapping heat in, regulating your temperature.
Reviews: The Best Waterproof Socks for Hiking
Have a look at our premium selection of best socks for hiking below!
- These are a pair of the most comfortable socks one can buy for hiking, being made of 80% cotton.
- The dual-layer porelle membrane system ensures the moisture leaves the inner layer, escaping to the outer layer.
- Cotton insulates very well, keeping the heat in, while still being highly breathable for your foot.
- The outer layer is made of nylon to ensure a tight fit – don’t slip or slide in your shoes again!
- Better suited to warmer climates and ideal hiking, cycling, jogging or even dog walking.
- These socks are waterproof, wear and tear-resistant and very durable.
- The ideal sock for hiking through muddy, wet or cold terrains!
- Made from three layers for maximum comfort and moisture wicking – allow your sweat to move from the inner to the outer layer and have dry feet for hours.
- The inner layer is made from 40% merino wool for exceptional comfort and to keep your feet at a perfect temperature.
- The outer layer is made from 96% incredibly durable nylon to keep your foot in place inside the shoe and minimize slipping.
- This sock does need to be taken care of with precautions: only wash at below 40C, only tumble dry on low heat, do not iron or twist and do not place in direct sunlight when drying.
- This sock is ideal for hiking on a rainy day, as they are 100% waterproof.
- A secondary layer around the sock allows for your feet to always keep dry, a trademark of Drymax’s Dual Layer Moisture Removal System.
- The sock is made from 42% Olefin and 48% polyester, making it dry incredibly fast, as well as hold it’s shaped around your foot exceedingly well.
- This sock will last you for a longer time than your average socks.
- These are seamless socks, designed to keep your feet free of friction or blisters.
- Seal in the heat and keep out the moisture as well as the cold with these premium hiking socks.
- These socks are made in the USA from a durable form of wool for maximum comfort, performance and water resistance.
- These socks can be worn be sea crew, but are also ideal for hiking or jogging through rivers, streams, sleet, or any other form of wet terrain.
- The socks are longer than your average socks, to keep as much moisture from entering as possible.
- Keep yourself warm and insulated with the wool in these premium hiking socks.
- The triple-layer design enables your feet to keep dry at all times, giving you hours of comfort and leaving your feet free of blisters.
- These are one of the best socks for hiking because of it’s unique blend of waterproof, weather-resistant fibers.
- Dual-layer moisture elimination technology allows your feet to remain dry, even in the wettest of weather conditions.
- The mid-length of the sock allows less chance of mud, moisture or wind from getting to your feet.
- The inner layer is made of a merino wool blend, imparting superior comfort and keeping your feet at a warm constant temperature.
- Ideal for cold climates.
- The elastic sides of the sock ensure the sock remains in place and provide an extra tight fit, perfect for hiking for hours without forming blisters.
Comparison Table: Top Waterproof Hiking Socks
|1||Dexshell Unisex Ultralite Hike - Waterproof Lightweight Hiking Socks||Dexshell||96|
|2||Dexshell Unisex Thermal Hiking Socks - Calf High Waterproof Socks for Hiking||Dexshell||96|
|3||Drymax Unisex Cold Weather Socks - Waterproof Socks For Hiking in Rainy Climates||Drymax||95|
|4||Hanz Unisex Long Waterproof Socks - Wool Socks for Wet Terrain Hiking||Hanz||94|
|5||Sealskins Unisex Mid Length Hiking Sock - Breathable Waterproof Hiking Sock||Sealskins||96|
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Wearing Waterproof Socks
- Helpful Hiking Tips & Precautions
- Qualities of a Good Waterproof Socks
- Reviews: The Best Waterproof Socks for Hiking
- Dexshell Unisex Ultralite Hike Waterproof Lightweight Hiking Socks
- Dexshell Unisex Thermal Hiking Socks Calf High Waterproof Socks for Hiking
- Drymax Unisex Cold Weather Socks Waterproof Socks For Hiking in Rainy Climates
- Hanz Unisex Long Waterproof Socks Wool Socks for Wet Terrain Hiking
- Sealskins Unisex Mid Length Hiking Sock Breathable Waterproof Hiking Sock
- Comparison Table: Top Waterproof Hiking Socks