Neuropathy is a condition that usually affects your feet and lower limbs, and sometimes your hands and arms. Neuropathy is likewise a condition that is usually a result of Diabetes in a person, which is one of the main causes of Neuropathy.
Because of the similar symptoms, Diabetic socks are your best option to use when you have Neuropathy, along with some other helpful sock features which we will discuss further in more detail.
How Neuropathy Affects Your Feet
Before we can get to the best socks for Neuropathy, let us first take a look at precisely how it actually affects your feet and limbs, in order to get the right direction when it comes to the best features in a Neuropathy sock;
Diabetes and Nerve Damage
Diabetes can cause a complication resulting in Nerve damage in the lower limbs and feet, referred to as Neuropathy.
- Numbness in the Feet and Toes – This Numbness impedes your ability to feel anything that can lead to injuries or irritation from shoes and socks. Therefore a protective sock type with no sharp edges or seams and underfoot padding is ideal if your Neuropathy is this far advanced.
Sharp Pain, Tingling, and burning sensations in the feet and legs – In this instance, there still is some feeling, yet you want a sock that does not place unnecessary pressure on the feet, or on the contrary, a compression type sock to improve blood flow and relieve pain.
Muscle Weakness – Immobility and less activity can result from muscle weakness, which is another symptom of Neuropathy, for which I would recommend a light compression level, compression sock, which may improve blood circulation and muscle conditions.
Foot deformities and Ulcers – This can be as a result of Neuropathy and Diabetes, causing painful sores that do not heal very fast or foot deformities. In this case, anti-bacterial and hygienic properties are a must, as well as a sock that places the least pressure on legs and feet with a seamless, smooth and non-binding design.
Do’s and Donts When Selecting Socks for Neuropathy
A Few Considerations When Choosing the Best Socks for Neuropathy
As You can see, the type of sock you need quite depends on the symptoms of Neuropathy. In most cases, because of the sensitivity and loss of feeling, a smooth and soft sock that is seamless and places the least pressure on your feet and legs is advisable.
In other areas, padding may be a good option where there is underfoot pain or loss of feeling, and compression is also advisable for pain and swelling.
However, compression socks should be avoided when the legs and feet are numb, or where there are open sores, irritation, or ulcers.
Some Precautions to Take When Choosing the Right Sock for Neuropathy
- Make sure that the fit is loose and comfortable and avoid compression socks when there is limited blood flow to the feet and legs.
- In some cases, when there is swelling or edema, a light compression sock may be used, but consult your physician first.
- Also, consider your shoes, a good sock is of no use if you have ill-fitting and unsupportive shoes.
- Breathability and loos lightweight materials are ideal for Neuropathy with symptoms other than swelling, such as ulcers, foot deformities, numbness, and burning.
- Avoid socks with sharp edges, irritating seams, or anything that can dig into the skin and cause harm or injuries.
Features of a Good No Show Sock for Neuropathy
Here are some characteristics of diabetic socks:
- Seamless construction with no sharp edges or anything that can cause friction.
- Underfoot padding for comfort and protection.
- Lightweight and breathable materials such as cotton or wool.
- Loose fit with a non-binding top that will not squeeze your feet or legs.
- In some cases, a low compression level compression sock is good.
- Invest in socks that can keep your feet warm to improve blood flow, such as a wool sock.
- Fitted styles that offer a proper and supportive fit that will not slip or be too tight is ideal.
Reviews: The Best Socks for Neuropathy
Below are some excellent options in different sock types which all have their advantages when it comes to Neuropathy;
Because of the risk of infection and foot ulcers in Neuropathy patients, a good anti-bacterial sock that keeps your dry and germ-free is always an excellent option.
- Available in many colorful options that are eye-catching and fashionable.
- A Miracle stretch top design that fits larger calf sizes without sagging at the leg.
- A blend of cotton, polyester, and spandex that keeps feet dry and comfortable.
- Anti-microbial properties to fight bacteria and odors.
As Neuropathy is a condition brought on by diabetes in most cases, a diabetic sock is an excellent choice for Neuropathy symptoms, such as the Creswell Crew Sock.
- It comes in a large set of one dozen pairs, so you always have clean socks to wear.
- They are made proudly in the USA.
- It offers a Non-Binding looser fit for less friction and pressure.
- Machine washable and quick drying.
- Very lightweight and breathable, as well as improving blood circulation, which is ideal in Neuropathy patients.
Another superb addition in Diabetic socks, from Yomandamor, with bamboo fibers that are naturally moisture-wicking and anti-bacterial.
- Made with 70 % Bamboo fibers and 30% elastane for a comfortable fit.
- Available in some color and pattern options.
- A seamless toe for less friction and non-binding top design.
- Larger and wider calf options are available to choose from.
- Stretch mesh fabric breathing holes ensure better ventilation.
- Stay up design that will not slip or bunch.
- High quality breathable and lightweight socks.
For the ladies, we have a similar option in diabetic bamboo socks from Yomandamor, which are ideal for Neuropathy and conditions caused by diabetes.
- Made with fine quality natural bamboo and elastane for flexibility.
- Caters for wider calves and extended sizes.
- A non-binding design which is perfect if you have neuropathy.
- Less irritation with a seamless toe area.
- Breathable and lightweight with mesh ventilation holes.
- Available in a few neutral color selections.
Another excellent sock option for Neuropathy is a cushioned style sock that provides underfoot protection and comfort.
- Made from soft and durable polyester, cotton, rayon, rubber, and spandex for the ideal fit and comfort solutions.
- Features Fresh IQ Advanced odor protection technology which prevents odors and bacteria from developing.
- The bottom of the foot is cushioned for comfort and support.
- The yarns used are moisture-wicking and will keep your feet dry and comfortable.
The Thorlos JMX Max is a cushioned sock for athletic activities and running with some ideal features to cater for the symptoms of Neuropathy.
- Made with 85% Acrylic, 14% Nylon and 1% elastic materails.
- A cushioned design that is highly durable and comfortable for running and all-day wear.
- Available in a few neutral color selections.
- The toe and heel are reinforced for durability and strength.
- There is also a sculptured fit in the heel and forefoot to prevent the sock from sliding down or bunching up in your shoes.
- The Low profile seam will likewise not irritate or rub against your feet.
From Silky Toes, we have these gorgeous breathable and lightweight Dress Socks with features that ideally suit Neuropathic feet.
- A soft and comfortable dress style sock with a non-binding design.
- Conforms to the shape of your feet without squeezing or reducing circulation.
- It is made from lightweight and moisture-wicking materials to keep you dry and comfortable.
- Made with 80-0% combed cotton, 105 Nylon, and 10% spandex.
- Seamless construction for less irritation.
- Available n a few color options for you to choose from.
Index Table: Top Rated Socks for Neuropathy
|1||Simcan Unisex Anti-Microbial - Neuropathy Socks||Simcan||98.2|
|2||Creswell Unisex Diabetic - Socks for Neuropathy||Creswell||97|
|3||Yomandamor Men's Bamboo - Neuropathy Socks||Yomandamor||98|
|4||Yomandamor Women's Bamboo - Neuropathy Relief Socks||Yomandamor||98|
|5||Hanes Unisex Max Cushion - Neuropathy Socks||Hanes||97|
|6||Thorlos Unisex JMX Max - Socks for Neuropathy||Thorlos||98|
|7||Silky Toes Women's Premium - Neuropathy Relief Socks||Silky Toes||98.5|
Table of Contents
- How Neuropathy Affects Your Feet
- Do’s and Donts When Selecting Socks for Neuropathy
- Features of a Good No Show Sock for Neuropathy
- Reviews: The Best Socks for Neuropathy
- Simcan® Unisex Anti-Microbial Neuropathy Socks
- Creswell® Unisex Diabetic Socks for Neuropathy
- Yomandamor® Men's Bamboo Neuropathy Socks
- Yomandamor® Women's Bamboo Neuropathy Relief Socks
- Hanes® Unisex Max Cushion Neuropathy Socks
- Thorlos® Unisex JMX Max Socks for Neuropathy
- Silky Toes® Women's Premium Neuropathy Relief Socks
- Index Table: Top Rated Socks for Neuropathy