If you intend to go for a long run in very hot and dry weather, you will want to know where you can get your hands on the best thin running socks! Read on further to find out when thin running socks are necessary, what your options are and more on top running sock features.
Comparison Table for the Best Thin Running Socks
|1||Drymax 's No Show Running Socks - The World’s Lightest Running Sock||Drymax||97|
|2||Drymax 's Ultra Light Run Socks - Lightest Running Sock In The World||Drymax||97|
|3||Balega 's No Show Athletes Socks - Thin Running Socks for Champions||Balega||97|
|4||Swiftwick 's Stylish Runner Socks - Thin Running Socks for Sweaty Feet||Swiftwick||97|
|5||Feetures! 's Elite Running Socks - Lightweight Foot Protective Running Socks||Feetures!||97|
|6||Cloudline 's Thin Merino Socks - Thin Merino Wool Running Socks||Cloudline||98|
When is Wearing a Thin Pair of Running Socks Appropriate?
The obvious reasons for wanting thin running socks is heat and moisture control. Running in hot or dry climates will make you sweat much more, and considering our feet have over 250,000 tiny sweat glands, that’s a lot of a lot more! Thin running socks are quick drying and equipped to handle excess moisture, as there is less of a barrier between your foot and the air. Another reason for thin running socks is that they tend to be lighter. Lightweight running socks are essential, particularly if you intend to win races!
Thin running socks are also appropriate for minimizing foot blisters, as there is less chance the sock will rub against the shoe. Specialized thicker running socks also exist that help to reduce blisters and keep your feet warm. Thin running socks also usually provide a tighter fit and can be used for mild compression to alleviate pressure on the feet.
Different Kinds of Thin Running Socks
Here are a few different types of thin running socks and what advantages they have over other types.
- No Show Running Socks – No Show Socks or secret socks are more commonly thin than thick because it’s much easier to hide a thinner sock. These socks come with the advantage of showing off your legs, but more importantly, they are more aerodynamic. That means you should be able to generate fractionally higher speeds, which could ultimately make all the difference when crossing the finish line!
- Merino Wool Socks – merino wool comes from a particular kind of sheep and is used to make specialized socks! It’s ultra light, highly absorbent and has a softness that beats pure cotton. In a thin layer, it makes a mean running sock that will keep your feet feeling dry and pampered.
- Compression Running Socks – usually made with a component of nylon, compression socks add a little bit of tightness around areas of the foot susceptible to pressure. This can help you if your feet feel sore after a run. If the problem does not go away, you may like to invest in a proper pair of running shoes for your foot type or running insoles.
- Toe Socks – Even runners wear toe socks, provided they are seamless. Toe socks have been proven to reduce toe blisters by securely wrapping each toe.
Top Features That Make Thin Running Socks Stand Out
Ever wondered what features make running socks stand out? Here below are a few that will make your running experience an absolute pleasure.
- Ultra Absorbent – many companies have their specialised fiber blend to make perfect, ultra absorbent running socks. Materials like merino wool, wool, cotton, acrylic, and olefin are ultra absorbent and will help keep your feet dry.
- Tight Fit – tight fitting socks are essential to prevent slipping and sliding and to help you run efficiently, with as little between your feet and the ground as possible.
- Dual Layered – ultra thin dual layered socks are superior when it comes to moisture elimination, using principles of osmosis to allow moisture to travel from the inner layer to the outer layer. This is a sure way to guarantee dry feet on your run!
- Odour Control – some socks have been blended with activated charcoal or some substance that controls the smell of sweaty feet.
- Foot Padding – Thin Socks with foot padding are slightly reinforced with extra cushioning under the heels, arches, and ball of the feet. This aids with distributing shock away from your feet, as well as helping the arches of the feet not to tire out.
- Seamless – seamless socks prevent up to 80% of blisters from happening, which occur largely because the seams rub the feet raw. Make sure your socks are seamless if you enjoy running on a frequent basis.
Best Thin Running Sock Reviews
Our list of the best thin running socks for running in hot weather.
- Drymax is one of the world’s leading brands of running socks and these socks are made to be the lightest and most thin no show running socks.
- Made from an insane 73% olefin, these socks will absorb sweat and dry themselves off as you run!
- On top of which, these socks are made with a dual-layer moisture elimination system, keeping all moisture on the outer layer and keeping your feet 100% dry at all times.
- As these socks are no show socks, you can up your game and become more aerodynamic.
- 5% elastane or spandex allows the sock to stretch to fit comfortably over the majority of feet.
- The nylon and polyester are used to reinforce to sock design and to confer mild compression to your feet while you run.
- Choose from black, gray or white.
- Available in pairs of three or individual pairs.
- Similar to the Drymax socks listed above, these socks come up to the ankle and do not provide as much aero-dynamic properties as no show socks would.
- Made using a dual-layer moisture elimination system, the sweat will travel from the inner to the outer layer, guaranteeing dry feet as you run.
- The sock is mostly made of hyper-thin layers of olefin, which is currently the fastest drying material in the world.
- Suitable for running in trails where you might need to cross a river and brilliant for hot, dry climates.
- Provides mild compression which extends around the ankles too (unlike in the no show socks above).
- Available in white, gray or black.
- Made in USA.
- Balega specialised in a unique DryNamix polyester blend that keep feet cool, dry and aerated.
- The sock is designed with an anti-sleep heel tab in mind, making the heel cup extra deep and ensuring the sock fits perfectly without sliding around.
- The sock is 100% seamless, allowing for no blisters or friction when you run.
- The heel is reinforced and cushioned for added protection and comfort.
- These socks are handcrafted for maximum quality.
- The top of the sock has been proven to eliminate blisters or abrasion on the top of the foot.
- These socks are made of an ultra thin, yet highly durable layer of 40% olefin and 55% nylon.
- The top of the sock is made from a breathable mesh vent, which allows your feet to breathe and also provides them with mild compression.
- Swiftwick is proud to present you with a chemical-free sock that needs nothing aside from the wind on your heels to wick the moisture away.
- The toe and footbed are sculpted to perfectly fit any foot size, using mild compression to prevent any slipping or sliding.
- Seamless to prevent the formation of blisters.
- Ideal for running, hiking, cycling or any outdoor sporting activities.
- Made in USA.
- These socks will provide you with superior comfort while running, being made of a thin layer of nylon and 4% spandex.
- They are seamless so that you do not need to worry about getting blisters.
- Designed with an enhanced fit, these socks should fit any foot type without any issues.
- The heel and pads of the feet are cushioned ever so slightly for maximum comfort and protection.
- Available in five different styles.
- Ideal for running, cycling, hiking and outdoor adventures.
- These merino wool socks are ultra thin for maximum moisture wicking capabilities!
- Made from 59% merino wool, 36% nylon, and 5% spandex, these socks are made to fit your feet securely while you run, but stretching enough to accommodate most sizes.
- The socks are incredibly comfortable and will keep your feet completely dry.
- The toes are seamless, allowing no blisters to form.
- Cushioned in the back and front for optimum comfort, you may find you enjoy wearing these for running as well as everyday casual socks.
- Designed to be antimicrobial to prevent the build-up of foot fungus and other infections.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for the Best Thin Running Socks
- When is Wearing a Thin Pair of Running Socks Appropriate?
- Different Kinds of Thin Running Socks
- Top Features That Make Thin Running Socks Stand Out
- Best Thin Running Sock Reviews
- Drymax No Show Running Socks The World’s Lightest Running Sock
- Drymax Ultra Light Run Socks Lightest Running Sock In The World
- Balega No Show Athletes Socks Thin Running Socks for Champions
- Swiftwick Stylish Runner Socks Thin Running Socks for Sweaty Feet
- Feetures! Elite Running Socks Lightweight Foot Protective Running Socks
- Cloudline Thin Merino Socks Thin Merino Wool Running Socks