Trail running is not as carefree as one might like to think! You need to have the right gear to run in the wild on a frequent basis, particularly the best pair of trail running socks. Read further to learn a bit more about the importance of maximum protection trail running socks, best trail running sock features, buying considerations, as well as our premium selection of the best trail running socks for marathon runners.
Comparison Table for the Best Trail Running Socks
|1||Swiftwick Unisex Trail Running Socks - Olefin-Nylon Compression Trail Running Socks||Swiftwick||97|
|2||Drymax Unisex Quarter Running Socks - Dry Fast Trail Running Socks for Runners||Drymax||96|
|3||MudGear Unisex Compression Trail Socks - Running Socks For Trail Runners||MudGear||99|
|4||DryMax Unisex Cool Weather Running Socks - Four Fiber Cold Day Trail Running Socks||DryMax||95|
|5||PureAthlete Unisex Secret Trail Socks - Hidden Trail Running Ankle Socks||PureAthlete||96|
Why Does One Need Special Socks for Trail Running?
Trail running is one of the best forms of training for marathon runners because they can run long distances without being impeded by traffic or people. One needs to invest in the best possible pair of trail running socks because trail running usually involves wetting your shoes more often, sweating more and enduring more on the feet. Running in the rain outdoors in nature is different to running in the rain on a city street, for example. Your shoes and socks will absorb more impact, more dirt and more moisture than usual.
Trail running socks are made to last long, enduring all forms of the elements. They are also necessary if you are running in a cold environment, to get rid of trapped moisture and to keep your temperature stable at all times. Excess moisture in your shoes not only degenerate your socks faster but also can give you foot infections. Trail running socks are also necessary to avoid blistering yourself!
Understanding the Best Trail Running Sock Materials
The best buying consideration to make when you purchase trail running socks is to look at the materials used to make the sock. Understanding a few different materials, what they achieve and how they work together to form the best combinations will help you when making your buying choice.
- Nylon – Nylon fibers in your trail running socks will allow them to be more elastic, heat-resistant, melt as opposed to combust and last for a very much longer time. Nylon can also hold its shape depending on how the fibers are woven together. Too much nylon, however, can chafe or cause reactions.
- Olefin – olefin allows your trail running socks to dry out faster, as well as keeping your temperature constant. Putting anything with olefin fibers into the dryer is not recommended, as the fibers will swell and become brittle, however, olefin is very durable under trail running conditions.
- Spandex – Spandex was named as such as an anagram of the word ‘expand.’ It is one of the most stretchy fabric fibers invented and imparts an elastic quality to our socks. Other names for spandex include Lycra and Elastane (commonly misinterpreted as separate materials, but just called different names depending on what part of the world you’re in).
- Polyester – Polyester could be any of the above materials, as it refers to the group of synthetic fabrics made from polyurethane derivatives. All polyester fibers are anti-microbial, however, good ventilation is required for these socks, as the moisture can accumulate and form infections.
8 Best Trail Running Sock Features
Here are 8 of the greatest trail running sock features that you need to know about!
- Padding – trail running is a high impact activity, which requires the right kind of foot support. Extra padding for your foot’s arches will help reduce injury, impact and act as a shock absorber.
- Compression – some trail hiking socks have the fancy extra feature of foot compression. Compression is when the sock is bound tighter at specific points to provide pressure relief.
- Seamless Socks – if your socks have seams, they should certainly not be used for running! Seams can easily cause friction and rub your feet raw until you form blisters. True trail running socks will be seamless.
- Pressure Point Relief – some trail running socks are designed to alleviate pressure points with raised bumps, padded portions or compression.
- Moisture Wicking – trail running socks need to be able to wick away moisture because one cannot escape having sweaty feet on trail runs!
- Anti-Slip Socks – running socks are specially designed to stay on your feet as best as possible, minimizing the chance that you will slip inside your shoes.
- Tight Fit – makes sure the sock you are getting fits your foot right, as well as your shoe. Usually, trail running socks are not very thick, but if you are trail running in a cold climate, you may want thicker socks.
- Comfort & Thread Count – the higher the thread count, the better the quality and usually the more comfortable. The thread count is also a direct indication of the thinness of the fibers used, as well as the amount of ventilation in the sock.
The Best Trail Running Socks Reviews
Have a look at our premium selection of trail running socks below!
- This trail running sock is designed to fit tight and dry fast, ideal for running in the rain or mud.
- These socks can make all the difference to your game, with the added protection of the medium sized footbed cushion to help absorb shock.
- The socks are designed for compression, taking added pressure off your feet.
- The mostly 50-50 nylon olefin fiber combination makes these socks lightweight, durable, moisture wicking and antimicrobial.
- This product will leave your feet blister free, drier than usual and feeling good.
- These socks are designed to keep your feet odor free thanks to the MicroZap fibers woven into the fabric.
- 65% olefin means that these socks will dry out at a rate comparable to swimwear!
- The dual moisture elimination system allows your feet to remain dry on the inner layer, while the outer layer collects any excess sweat.
- These trail running socks offer a medium density footbed padding and are very comfortable.
- Skin fast tightness ensures a lightweight run without slipping in your shoes.
- This soft trail running pair of socks is well equipped for running through muddy terrain or in rainy weather.
- The top layer is ultra-ventilated and allows for most of the sweat to evaporate.
- Designed to create a superior tight fit, these trail running socks provide a medium ankle compression and keep out all dirt or debris.
- You can run wearing these socks for miles without contracting blisters.
- These socks are 100% seamless and are incredibly comfortable to wear.
- The lightweight polyester blend ensures you can run at the speeds you desire.
- Made in the USA.
- These socks were designed to keep your feet dry in devastingly cold weather.
- Protect your feet in seamless comfort from frostbite and blisters.
- These socks are made from 42% Olefin for optimal drying out ability.
- The dual layer moisture elimination technology allows the foot to stay dry on the inside, while all the moisture escapes to the outer coating.
- Made in the USA and available in an assortment of colors.
- Lightweight and breathable, these socks are the best running companion for cold weather trail runs.
- These trail running socks are made from a select type of light weight wool which is perfect for comfort and durability.
- This Merino wool also keeps your feet insulated to the perfect temperature, while a mesh layer on the top of the sock helps excess moisture to escape.
- The materials used in this sock are guaranteed not to itch or cause blisters.
- These secret socks or ankle socks provide minor compression to help ease pressure and to keep the sock in place preventing any slipping inside your shoes.
- Buy your pair of trendy hidden ankle socks today and improve your trail running game tenfold!
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for the Best Trail Running Socks
- Why Does One Need Special Socks for Trail Running?
- Understanding the Best Trail Running Sock Materials
- 8 Best Trail Running Sock Features
- The Best Trail Running Socks Reviews
- Swiftwick Unisex Trail Running Socks Olefin-Nylon Compression Trail Running Socks
- Drymax Unisex Quarter Running Socks Dry Fast Trail Running Socks for Runners
- MudGear Unisex Compression Trail Socks Running Socks For Trail Runners
- DryMax Unisex Cool Weather Running Socks Four Fiber Cold Day Trail Running Socks
- PureAthlete Unisex Secret Trail Socks Hidden Trail Running Ankle Socks