Ever wondered what hiking socks are the best for hiking all year round in every kind of condition? The answer is Merino Wool Hiking Socks. Read further for more information on what merino wool is, why merino socks make the best hiking socks, as well as some of the best hiking sock, features to look out for!
Comparison Table for the Best Merino Wool Hiking Socks
|1||DG Hill 's Thermal Hiking Socks - Temperature Regulating Merino Socks for Hiking||DG Hill||96|
|2||Kakuetta Trail 's Premium Merino Socks - Quality Merino Wool Hiking Socks||Kakuetta Trail||95|
|3||Danish Endurance 's Merino Wool Blend Socks - Soft Knit Merino Wool Blend Hiking Socks||Danish Endurance||94|
|4||Sox Shop 's Wool Hiking Socks - Superior Merino Wool Trail Hiking Socks||Sox Shop||97|
|5||Sox Shop 's Colorful Merino Socks - Stylish Australian Merino Wool Hiking Socks||Sox Shop||96|
What is Merino Wool?
Merino wool is a specialized type of yarn made from the finest wool fibers on the planet. These fibers are roughly a 5th of the thickness of a human hair. The name comes from the sheep the wool originates from, Merino sheep. Merino sheep came from Spain at first and integrated across Europe over the centuries until eventually, settlers brought the first Merino sheep to Australia and New Zealand. Another name for the Merino sheep is the Jackson sheep.
To this day the best merino wool is still crafted in Australia. The harsher climate there allowed for the sheep to adapt, increasing the quality of the wool and producing an even finer merino fiber. If the merino wool comes from Australia, you know it is of very high quality! The climate also induces a response in the sheep that is conducive to higher production and yields of wool, as they will suffer from heat stroke if they are not shaved 1-2 times annually (unlike other sheep species).
Why Makes Merino Wool Hiking Socks the Best?
Merino wool is so fine that it makes for the most luxurious hiking socks. In general, the properties of wool are beneficial for hiking. However, most wools are too rough to wear as socks. Aside from being the finest wool available, Merino wool also happens to be the softest wool and is added to other wool fibers to reduce scratchiness and increase softness. The fineness of merino wool allows for it to have a much higher thread count, while still retaining the best properties of wool. These characteristics include:
- Temperature Regulating – as is the case with merino sheep, merino wool has adapted to handle very high or low temperatures with ease. The wool will keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Breathability – since the fibers are thinner than human hair even, they allow for your skin to breathe very easily through near microscopic holes in the fabric.
- Moisture Wicking – Wool absorbs moisture incredibly well, and due to its breathability, it also disperses with moisture very well. This keeps your feet feeling fresh and dry while you wear merino wool hiking socks.
- Flame Resistant – an added bonus of all wool, including merino wool, is that it is naturally flame resistant. You never know when that will come in handy!
Top Characteristics That Every Hiking Sock Needs
On top of all the great benefits merino wool confers to a hiking sock, these additional features are worthwhile to look for to complete the ultimate hiking experience.
- Seamless – Sock seams are the number one cause of foot and toe blisters. Make sure your socks fit you correctly and that they are seamless to avoid possibly painful friction.
- Length – This feature is important for those who are hiking in rough terrain to protect the feet and legs from the elements. If you are planning to hike in snow or across rivers or in a very muddy or dusty location, it’s advisable to wear knee-high hiking socks.
- Ventilation – air flow is essential for hiking socks and all other outdoor activities to help reduce moisture and keep your feet fresh. In cold climates, ventilation is still a requirement because, without it, you will sweat excessively, which can become dangerous when cooled to the outside temperature. Many hiking socks have a specialized top layer mesh vent for this purpose.
- Odour Elimination – Especially if you sweat a lot or do not like the smell of yourself, hiking socks with an odor elimination system can be very useful. Infusions of natural scents or activated charcoal can help to remove the smell from your socks.
- Underfoot Padding – Modern hiking socks have advanced to the point of having comfortable underfoot padding to help cushion and protect your feet.
Merino Wool Hiking Sock Reviews
Here are some of the best merino wool hiking socks available on the market currently. Have a look!
- These merino wool hiking socks are incredibly soft and will keep your feet at the right temperature.
- Made of 80% merino wool, these socks are suitable for cold weather hiking in climates where it snows, as well as warmer climates.
- The top is made of a mesh that will ventilate your feet over and above the breathability of merino wool.
- Mild compression adds the perfect level of comfort combined with the right fit.
- The heels and arches of this sock are cushioned to provide adequate support and protection to your feet.
- These hiking socks are highly durable and will last a long time, even if you wear them casually indoors!
- These hiking socks are made superior by the fact that every single part of them is pure merino wool!
- These are better suited to hiking in colder climates, being slightly chunkier than the average merino wool hiking sock.
- These seamless socks provide additional comfort padding at the toes and heels of the sock.
- Merino Wool will stretch to accommodate most foot sizes without difficulty, being extra soft and not too tight.
- Appropriate for home, office or outdoor use.
- Machine washable and dryable.
- 30-day money back guarantee if you are still not happy with the product.
- These socks are made to hike in many weather conditions, being best suited to warm weather climates.
- 33% merino wool and acrylic spun down to thin fibers makes for an incredibly comfortable moisture wicking sock that will serve you for years to come.
- These hiking socks are padded from heel to toe, providing maximum protection to your feet and ensuring you have the right foot support.
- Since these socks are seamless, blisters, rashes, and chaffing will fall away.
- Hike comfortably in any terrain on a hot day with these great Danish merino wool hiking socks!
- These hiking socks are made from the finest blend of 74% Australian Merino Wool to make for a comfortable hike.
- 20% nylon and 6% spandex allow for the sock to fit tightly while still giving enough stretch to feel snug on the foot.
- Compression around the arches of the feet allow for pressure point relief and can help those with tired feet.
- The undersides of the sock are cushioned and protected for superior support, making it easier to hike in your boots.
- These socks have length, making them ideal for any extreme weather conditions or environments.
- Sox shop hiking socks are made with superior quality Australian merino wool for the best moisture wicking hiking socks.
- Available in many vibrant colors so you can go hiking in style!
- The arches, pads, and heels of the sock are reinforced for optimal comfort and foot support.
- The length of these socks allows for you to hike in almost any terrain and weather, being held up firmly by a double knitted cuff.
- With such comfortable socks, you will likely wear them casually around the house and to work, as they feel great on the feet!
- The top vent helps air to circulate and confers mild compression, redirecting pressure off the feet.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for the Best Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- What is Merino Wool?
- Why Makes Merino Wool Hiking Socks the Best?
- Top Characteristics That Every Hiking Sock Needs
- Merino Wool Hiking Sock Reviews
- DG Hill 's Thermal Hiking Socks Temperature Regulating Merino Socks for Hiking
- Kakuetta Trail 's Premium Merino Socks Quality Merino Wool Hiking Socks
- Danish Endurance 's Merino Wool Blend Socks Soft Knit Merino Wool Blend Hiking Socks
- Sox Shop 's Wool Hiking Socks Superior Merino Wool Trail Hiking Socks
- Sox Shop 's Colorful Merino Socks Stylish Australian Merino Wool Hiking Socks